ONN – Oakland Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick Called Wilson Riles To Apologize For “Zoning While Black” Incident
On Facebook, Steve Lowe, the developer of Old Oakland, said this in response to my call for Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf to apologize to Wilson Riles for the racist “Zoning While Black” incident: “My guess is that the City Attorney will advise that no one apologize lest it might become an admission of guilt and cost the City untold thousands.”
Well, former Oakland Councilmember Wilson Riles personally told me that Oakland Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick did call him to apologize for the harassment by Oakland Police Officers during Mr. Riles unfortunate visit to the Oakland Zoning Department.
On October 17th, Wilson Riles, once the Oakland District 5 City Councilmember, paid a visit to the City of Oakland’s planning and zoning division. As he explained in a Zennie62 YouTube Live Interview:
“A couple of weeks ago someone from zoning came by indicating that there was a complaint about the ceremonies we were having in our back yard. I don’t know why he didn’t have the knowledge about the decisions of the Planning Commission and the council had made, but apparently he didn’t. I asked him to go and check that out. Later on, I talked to him on the telephone he said he had found out that we had a right to do that but that he was going to require me to get some permits for the temporary structures that we have in our backyard. As part of what we are are doing all of that was also included in the agreement that we had with the Planning Commission of The City Council.
All those structures were put into the design review that we had to submit, but we also agreed that that if there anything that we were doing or that we needed to do that required a permit, that we would take out a permit before doing that. But the law was very clear and I hadn’t looked at it early in this process. The temporary structures do not require a permit, so I was a little upset that at the end of this process, after going all through this, the Zoning Department was still trying to shut us down for something that we had a legal right to do. And I asked them to look at the code – they refuse to do that. I went down to the Zoning Department to meet with this inspector on Thursday morning again asking him to look at the code about that requirement; he refused to look at the code.
I was frustrated I was arguing with him that that wasn’t right and he was supposed to be following the law. He was opposed to be doing something because somebody told him to do it or some mother complained he was supposed to be looking at the law that he’s supposed to be implementing. He got up, went back to talk to his supervisor, he said. I said waited for 15 minutes. He came back, sat down, and said he still hadn’t looked at the codes and he wasn’t gonna look at the codes. So I again, being very frustrated, you know told him how ridiculous it sounded – this was that he didn’t bother to actually follow the law he was supposed to be implementing. He stopped talking to me turned his head away got up and walked back in the activity area where the has their desk.
I got up five of him the door was open. I didn’t push the door. I didn’t push him. I didn’t touch anybody. I didn’t threaten anybody. I walked through the door and told the folks there I wanted to talk to the supervisor, and I stayed there until the supervisor came. We walked back through the door set back down at the desk I talked to the supervisor about the issues that I had and my concerns – that the law wasn’t wasn’t being followed. And he said I’ll get back to you.
So I stood up and started leaving the office and down this narrow hall and four police officers came up they were looking around trying to find somebody who was to tell them why they were there and what they were supposed to do – apparently nobody did. And so I continued walking and one of the officers blocked me from leaving they didn’t say we’re gonna arrest you they didn’t say what the charge would be or anything they just blocked me – physically blocked me. I tried to move around the person who was blocking me, and he grabbed me and other officers grabbed me. So I’m pushing my arms behind my back trying to put cuffs on me tried to trick me and didn’t district me, and we also held down on the floor and they were eventually able to hustle me down to a cruiser in front of the building you know. That’s that’s the incident that took place that Thursday morning.
Zennie Abraham – Well, you mean to tell me at no point they didn’t tell you A) why they were there, B) tell you what you were going to be arrested for, C) read you your Miranda rights – no, none of that and then on top of that when you left the office you had…
Wilson Riles – No idea none.
I still believe Mayor Schaaf should call Wilson Riles.
Note from Oakland News Now Technical: this video-blog post shows the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021