ONN – Oakland Police Budget Upped by 6%, $38.5 Million In Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas’ Budget – video made by the YouTube channel in the video’s upper left hand corner.
Oakland Police Budget Upped by 6%, $38.5 Million In Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas’ Budget
OAKLAND, CA — Yesterday, July 1, 2021, Oakland Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas and her budget team of Councilmembers Fife, Kalb, and Gallo sent a joint letter to Mayor Schaaf, Administrator Reiskin, and Police Chief Armstrong to express serious concern over the Administration and Police Department’s sharing of inaccurate and misleading information regarding police funding in the Fiscal Year 2021-23 budget, passed on Thursday, June 24.
No Cuts to Policing Made: Oakland Police Budget Is In Fact Increasing by 6%
The City’s 2019-21 budget allocated $635,278,301 million for police spending; this total accounts for midcycle budget amendments made in 2020-21, whereas prior released numbers did not reflect these amendments. Oakland’s new 2021-23 budget allocates $673,819,639 million for police spending, a $38,541,338 million (+6%) increase from the last budget cycle in the City’s General Purpose Fund.
Mayor Schaaf’s proposed 2021-23 budget would have increased police spending to $692,584,997 million. Council President Bas’ budget increased police spending, but redirected $18,765,358 million of Schaaf’s proposed increase towards tripling the Department of Violence Prevention’s budget and expanding MACRO, Oakland’s civilian crisis response program in the Fire Department. The Police Department’s projected staffing levels in the first year are the same in both Mayor Schaaf’s proposal and the budget passed by the Council, which will serve as a transitional year to divert non-criminal, non-violent 911 calls to alternative responses in the Fire and Transportation Departments.
Defining Violence Interruption and Plans to Expand Violence Prevention in 2021-23
On Tuesday, June 29, Bas convened a public panel on the Department of Violence Prevention’s plans to expand violence prevention efforts in Oakland using its significantly increased budget with Guillermo Cespedes, Oakland’s Chief of Violence Prevention, as well as life coaches and violence interrupters leading frontline organizations addressing gun / gang / group violence, gender-based violence, human trafficking, and trauma in Oakland.
During the panel, Chief Cespedes shared that San Francisco’s 2020 homicide rate was 5 homicides per 100,000 residents, with 32 violence interrupters; Los Angeles’ rate hovers around 10 homicides per 100,000 residents, with 132 violence interrupters. By contrast, Oakland is severely understaffed: our homicide rate was 24 homicides per 100,000 residents, with only 10 violence interrupters.
“I am disappointed by our Mayor and Police Chief characterizing Oakland’s new budget to the media and general public as having ‘defunded’ or ‘decimated’ the police budget, when in fact total resources allocated for policing have increased by 6% or $38.5 million in this budget, compared to our last two-year budget. Since 2012, OPD’s budget has increased by more than $100 million,” said Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas. “As leaders of our city, we must not use exaggerated, inaccurate information. It prevents us from coming together to focus on strengthening our public safety system’s ability to address violent and serious crime, while transitioning to build effective alternatives for non-violent, low-level 911 calls for service.”
Note from Zennie62Media and OaklandNewsNow.com : this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a YouTube channel. When the video is “liked” by Zennie62 YouTube, then it is automatically uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective here, on top of our is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours – is the use of the existing YouTube social graph on any subject in the World. Now, news is reported with a smartphone and also by promoting current content on YouTube: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary, or having a camera crew to shoot what is already on YouTube. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Free NBA Picks Today | 76ERS vs PELICANS Free Pick (10/20/21) NBA Best Bets and NBA Predictions October 20, 2021
- LIVE! Talking MLB Playoffs, NBA Opening Night and much more! October 20, 2021
- Jock MKT NBA DFS Picks, Lineups, Strategy 10/20/21 October 20, 2021
- Live Stream – Tacoma Defiance V Oakland Roots SC| Soccer – 20 Oct.2021, October 20, 2021
- Powell-Mason Cable Car 6 @ Powell St & Ellis St San Francisco California October 20, 2021
- Broncos vs. Browns 10/21/21 FREE NFL Picks and Predictions on NFL Betting Tips for Today October 20, 2021
- Warriors Win Season Opener in Los Angeles | Game Rewind – Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- MLB Playoff Predictions & NBA Bets Today From Joe Osborne October 20, 2021
- NBA Best Bets for Wednesday and Thursday | Today & Tomorrow Picks (10.20 & 10.21.21) October 20, 2021
- Major League Baseball Betting | MLB Picks | PSR MLB Closing Time – Tuesday, October 19th October 20, 2021
- Raiders Trade Rumors: 10 Players The Las Vegas Raiders Should Targets Before 2021 NFL Trade Deadline October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Picks and Predictions | Rams vs Lions Betting Preview | Big Game Breakdown October 20, 2021
- Source: Raiders Sign Pro Bowl CB Desmond Trufant October 20, 2021
- 2021 NBA Player Prop Bets – October 20 October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 TOP Picks | Best Bets & Locks to Win | VegasOdds October 20, 2021
- Raiders News : Raiders Signed CB Desmond Trufant October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Picks Against the Spread, Best Bets, Super Contest predictions 2021 October 20, 2021
- NBA Pick – 76ers vs Pelicans Prediction, 10/20/2021, Best Bet Today, Tips & Odds | Docs Sports October 20, 2021
- NBA Pick – Nuggets vs Suns Prediction, 10/20/2021, Best Bet Today, Tips & Odds | Docs Sports October 20, 2021
- The 49ers Should Trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Cleveland Browns for Odell Beckham Jr. October 20, 2021
- Tuesday With Shoeb: The State of 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In-N-Out closes indoor dining, refuses to become the ‘vaccination police’ October 20, 2021
- Orlando Magic VS San Antonio Spurs 10/20/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Predictions For Every Game | Picks, Predictions, & Betting Odds October 20, 2021
- Braves vs. Dodgers NLCS Game 3 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- NHL Highlights | Sharks vs. Canadiens – Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Picks, Predictions and Odds | NFL Week 7 Preview | Oct 24 October 20, 2021
- Dodgers’ Corey Seager launches a 2-run shot before there’s in out in NLCS Game 3! October 20, 2021
- Walgreens & San Francisco Disagree On Store Closings – Pete Buttigieg Gets On CNN And Says Nothing October 20, 2021
- NFL Picks – Houston Texans vs Arizona Cardinals Prediction, 10/24/2021 Week 7 NFL Best Bet Today October 20, 2021
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Update: Why Oakland Mayor Schaaf Wants Alameda County October 26 Meeting October 20, 2021
- Good Morning Football LIVE 10/20/2021 | NFL Trade Rumos and News | GMFB on NFL Network October 20, 2021