ONN – Oakland Planning Commission Takes Up 19 Story Building At CA College Of Arts August 21
Oakland – “Rockridge Community Online”, an Oakland-based neighborhood group, wants Oaklanders to come to the Oakland Planning Commission Meeting at Oakland City Hall this Tuesday, August 21st. The rest of this post presents what was written in the organization’s email newsletter:
You probably know that a San Francisco builder is planning a 19 story tower at the California College of Arts (CCA) site.
Did you know:
There will be 4 eight story buildings for over 500 new units worsening already bad traffic on that section of Broadway.
The area facing Broadway transforms from a frontage of green trees to an edifice of steel and glass.
There are only 35 below market apartments in the development and they are segregated off to the side from the new construction.
The developer wants the city to rezone from a 35-foot height limit to a combination of 90-foot and 160-foot.
Did you also know:
A 200 foot Tower surrounded by a canyon of buildings will most likely happen unless citizens fight for better.
Developers are influencing politicians through donations and lobbying both in Oakland and the State Capital to reduce local control.
There is a strong political movement supporting growth without limits that is currently louder than the citizens who already live in the neighborhoods.The San Francisco based developer for the CCA site recently commented in the San Francisco Business Times that “I’m maybe surprised there’s not more opposition.”
The approval process is skewed to those who know the system. Local residents are at a major disadvantage.
All projects in Oakland are approved on a project by project basis with no central plan and no affordable housing requirements.
A deep pocketed developer can appeal to the city council.The only binding vote in the entire process belongs to 7 of 8 council who are outside the neighborhood.
Oakland should and can ask for more.
We need more housing in the Bay Area but need to be smart about development. Upper Broadway Advocates supports new buildings that add, or at the very least, do not destroy the beauty, clog unmodified roads with traffic, fill the streets with parked cars, and change fundamentally the character of the neighborhood. There should also be a substantial number of affordable units for low and moderate income people. We want the people who work in Rockridge – teachers, baristas, salespersons, firefighters – to have a chance to live here too.
By getting involved, we can:
Shorten the height of the buildings to be appropriate to the neighborhood. An original design by a different architect, before CCA decided to maximize revenue, called for a complex of 4 story buildings.
Increase the number of affordable units. San Francisco and other areas require more from developers. Oakland is outpacing San Francisco in the building of new, high end apartments. Oakland can ask for more from the developer and CCA which is abandoning Oakland.
Have architecture and an aesthetic appropriate for Oakland, not Houston, Texas.
Preserve the green space. Cut down fewer trees. Improve the public space.
Find ways to mitigate the increase in cars and traffic.
How you can help improve the future development:
#1 MOST IMPORTANT: BE HEARD starting with the Oakland Planning Commission meeting at Oakland City Hall on Wednesday, August 21 at 6pm. The developer, politicians, and absconding CCA trustees will be looking for signs of what they can get away with at the CCA site.
It’s critical that we have people turn up and participate in the process.
RSVP to UBAoakland@gmail.com and we will provide a place to assemble before the meeting.
Volunteer. There are numerous opportunities to help Oakland manage growth. Go to UBAoakland.org for more information or send us an email email@example.com
Write the Planning Commission.
To each Planning Commissioner, by e-mail or hard copy THE SOONER THE BETTER.Letters must be received by August 20.Reference ER19003 on your correspondence. Planning Commission, City Hall, 250 Frank H. Ogawa, Oakland CA 94612. E-mail addresses are below.Be as specific as you can about your concern.
For the environmental scope review, send a letter by email or hard copy to Rebecca Lind, RLind@oaklandca.gov. (City Hall, Planning, 250 Frank H. Ogawa, Suite 3315, Oakland CA 94612.Reference ER 19003 on your letter.THE SOONER THE BETTER. Comments on the scope of the environmental review report must be received no later than 4PM on August 23, 2019.
Commission members and contact information can be found on the UBAOakland.org website by clicking here.
Visit the Oakland City Council this Tuesday, August 21st
As to where I stand on this, I do think we have to build affordable housing, rather than use the shortage of affordable housing as an excuse to build more market-rate housing. The homeless problem has just worsened – 35 new affordable units aren’t enough. The project should have at least 100 units.
Oakland News Now Note: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network. This is a major part of our new approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mushkin: Amazon is building an unprecedented logistics network that has no rival October 28, 2021
- Astros even World Series with impressive 7-2 Game 2 triumph October 28, 2021
- Families reflect on World Series Game 2 as Braves lose to Astros 7-2 October 28, 2021
- ‘We Didn’t Worry’: Renewable Energy May Be Solution For Those Vulnerable To Power Outages October 28, 2021
- Watch Rachel Maddow Highlights: October 27th | MSNBC October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: Danyal Hussein jailed for 35 years for murder of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman October 28, 2021
- Unique 3 flavour chaat || stylish Banana chat by Afshan Ansari Food Network. October 28, 2021
- Raymond James’ Chris Caso on what to expect from Apple’s Q3 earnings October 28, 2021
- Glenview Trust’s Bill Stone: Financials, industrials presenting opportunity October 28, 2021
- 2022 Chevrolet Silverado PICK UP Truck : SEE FIRST LOOK Good business October 28, 2021
- Watch The Beat With Ari Melber Highlights: October 27th | MSNBC October 28, 2021
- France Begins Process of Handing Back Looted African Treasures October 28, 2021
- CBSN Originals | The New Pro-Gun Generation October 28, 2021
- Ludacris Discusses New Venture Into TV | Zerlina. October 28, 2021
- Putin’s order to fill Gazprom’s EU storage facilities prompts gas prices to fall October 28, 2021
- NFL Picks – Green Bay Packers vs Arizona Cardinals Prediction, 10/28/2021 Week 8 NFL Best Bet Today October 28, 2021
- FSB neutralizes ISIS supporter in Murmansk, Russia October 28, 2021
- BEST strike partnerships in Premier League history | Thierry Henry + Dennis Bergkamp & more | Part 1 October 28, 2021
- A’s + Alameda: Key Points for Howard Terminal Ballpark October 28, 2021
- Zoe in San Francisco | Vlog in the USA | iPhone 13 | Purple Tea💜 October 28, 2021
- Highlights: Preston 0-2 Liverpool | Origi scores an outrageous goal in the Carabao Cup October 28, 2021
- How Ina Garten blew off the Food network October 28, 2021
- Houston Astros dominate Atlanta Braves to even up World Series with strong Game 2 win – US News October 28, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Full Highlights – World Series Game 2 – 10/27/2021 October 28, 2021
- LIVE: NBC News NOW – October 28 October 28, 2021
- Biden delays Europe departure to meet with Democratic caucus October 28, 2021
- Should children ages 5 to 11 be vaccinated? Hear from Dr. Fauci October 28, 2021
- Who is Julian Assange and why does the US want to extradite him? – BBC News October 28, 2021
- Professional Baseball Pitcher Tyler Herron Dies At 35 October 28, 2021
- Soyuz 2.1a rocket blasts off from Baikonur with cargo for ISS onboard October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: Sir David Attenborough urges nations to cooperate on climate change October 28, 2021
- Improvements are needed to make the ‘green choice the easy choice’ October 28, 2021
- China’s Climate Envoy Urges Help For Developing Countries Ahead of COP26 October 28, 2021
- Rishi Sunak defends National Insurance hike and meat eating October 28, 2021
- San Francisco honors Fil-Am community heroes | TFC News California, USA October 28, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Preview and Betting Picks October 28, 2021
- Sky News Breakfast: Kay Burley questions the Chancellor about the National Insurance rise October 28, 2021
- 남자 ASMR FOOD SPICY CHINESE FOODS MUKBANG #3340 October 28, 2021
- Rachel Reeves: ‘The issue is who is taxed.’ October 28, 2021
- WOMAN DEAD IN THREE-VEHICLE CRASH ON 3300 GRAND AVENUE [OAKLAND, CA] October 28, 2021