Oakland – Yesterday, the Indoor Football League canceled its 2020 season in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Oakland Panthers were to join the Indoor Football League (IFL) this spring. The season, which was set to begin March 14, was previously postponed indefinitely due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis. The team was founded by Professional Football legend and Oakland-native Marshawn Lynch, along with Roy Choi, an entertainment and gaming entrepreneur. “While we are intensely saddened that we will not play our Inaugural Season this year, we recognize this is a moment bigger than football. We pray for the health of our entire Bay Area community,” said Co-Founder Roy Choi. “We look forward to building the future of Oakland football when we kick off our Inaugural Season in 2021. In the meantime, we will continue our commitment to give back,” he added.
The IFL’s Board of Directors also on Monday approved an extended 16-game schedule for the 2021 season to add additional value for season ticket holders and sponsors. Fans who purchased single game tickets for the 2020 season will be able to obtain refunds through their point of purchase (Ticketmaster, arena box office, etc.). 2020 Season Ticket Holders will be contacted by the team with 2021 seating details.
“We want to thank our fans, sponsors, our dedicated coaches, the hundreds of athletes who tried out, our final roster members, our Oakland Panthers Dance Team, and our media partners The KBCW 44/Cable 12 and KNBR 1050,” said Team President Scott McKibben.
McKibben added, “Oakland has always been a hub for passionate sports fans, and lots of Oaklanders grew up cheering for their hometown teams. As we launched the Oakland Panthers, it was important that games be accessible, family entertainment where parents create lasting memories with their kids at a reasonable price. We will be back to provide great entertainment for our fans and we look forward to welcoming back our loyal fans and supporters for our 2021 season.” Head Coach Kurt Bryan said, “Keeping our players, coaches, and staff healthy and safe has been paramount since this pandemic began. I fully support the IFL in its decision to cancel the 2020 season, and now, with ample time to ramp up for our inaugural 2021 season, I know that the passionate football fans in Oakland and the Bay Area will make the Oakland Arena come roaring back to life in support of the Panthers!”
Oakland Panthers official merchandise will continue to be available online here. Founded in 2008, the IFL is the longest continuously operating professional indoor football league in the country.
The Oakland Panthers were set to play seven games at home in the Oakland Arena and seven on the road between March and June 2020.
Fans can stay connected to the team on Social Media at:
Tweets by Oak_Panthers
About the Oakland Panthers:
The Oakland Panthers, a new Indoor Football League Franchise, are part of the Indoor Football League (IFL). The team is founded by Professional Football legend and Oakland-native Marshawn Lynch, along with Roy Choi, an entertainment and gaming entrepreneur. For more information, visit https://www.oakland-panthers.com/. More information on the Indoor Football League can be found at www.GoIFL.com.
This post based on a press release from the Oakland Panthers to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5
- President Joe Biden Statement On The Mass Shooting In Indianapolis, Indiana
- TUTORIAL: Register for Oakland’s Online Permit Portal!
- OSA IM Piano Recital-A Trip to Europe: Baroque to Contemporary
- City Of Oakland Says Check Your Permit Status