ONN – Oakland Natural Gas Ban Done Without Economic Impact Analysis, Needs Affordable Housing Exception – vlog by Zennie62 YouTube
On Tuesday, the Oakland City Council passed what would be a ban on natural gas use in all new building construction if it got enough votes on its second reading. My problem with the legislation pushed primarily by Oakland District One Councilmember Dan Kalb, and with the help of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Oakland District Two Councilmember Nikki Fortunado Bas, is that it was done solely with concerns about climate change, and without true regard for the creation and maintenance of affordable housing.
When I brought my concerns to Councilmember Kalb, he remarked that “the affordable housing community supported” his plan. That’s meaningless to me because he’s pointing to a political group here or there, and not any economic analysis that would demonstrate an effort to make sure that Oakland’s poor and middle class were not hurt by the market reaction to the ban.
The fact is that California has the fifth-highest housing living costs in America, and topped only by New England states, and Alaska – this ban threatens to push Oakland even higher than that mark. And of the 40 cities listed as having some type of natural gas ban by The Sierra Club, 38 of them have almost no black people living in them; Oakland, with over 20 percent African American, is the lone exception to the rule. Even Berkeley has a population count that’s around 8 to 9 percent.
Oakland has been on notice for chasing its black population out of its city or to homelessness by high housing costs. This ban will assure the continuance of that problem. That is, unless, Oakland provides an exemption for affordable housing.
Such an exemption does exist in the case of East Palo Alto, which has a black population of around 11 percent, after a 23 percent mark in the first decade of the 21st Century. Thus, the vast majority of cities with natural gas bans have very small African American populations – then there’s Oakland. This looks like a push to, well, push, the rest of the poor black folks out of Oakland, or onto the streets.
Having an exception for affordable housing would create an incentive to build more affordable housing stock at a time when Oakland has a shortage. Hopefully, the City of Oakland wakes-up to not make an economic mistake, before it’s too late. The ban will not stop climate change – even if we reach zero emissions, over-population assures that the problem will not go away.
Note from Zennie62Media’s Zennie62 YouTube and Oakland News Now Today Blog SF Bay Area: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- PACERS at RAPTORS | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Halftime Performance by the Grambling State World Famed Tiger Marching Band! October 27, 2021
- Where you can find affordable housing in the greater Sacramento area October 27, 2021
- Washington Wizards vs Boston Celtics – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- What John Eastman Says In Public Vs. Private | The Mehdi Hasan Show October 27, 2021
- Nightly News Full Broadcast – October 27th October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves VOL 3 | World Series – Game 2 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Atlanta Braves VOL 2 | World Series – Game 2 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- ‘Marker’ the Robot | The machine that patrols launching site October 27, 2021
- Sunday’s storm leaves lasting impact on cars, as mechanics work to fix repairs October 27, 2021
- Oakland School Board Meets to Discuss Reinstating Police Mentoring Program October 27, 2021
- Indiana Pacers vs Toronto Raptors – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Miami Heat vs Brooklyn Nets – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Sexual predator to be placed in East Palo Alto, police warn October 27, 2021
- Hayes: How The Second Amendment Is Threatening The First October 27, 2021
- Off-duty cop accused of punching woman in face during road rage incident October 27, 2021
- Durant & Harden in Disbelief after Losing Another Game October 27, 2021
- Shipping Industry Meets In San Francisco, Warn Backlog To Stretch Past Holidays October 27, 2021
- Newsom weighs in on controversy over In-N-Out’s vaccine stance October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros with WILD 2nd inning! (Score 4 runs in chaotic fashion!) October 27, 2021
- Florida’s Manatees Are Dying in Record Numbers in 2021 Due to Food Shortage October 27, 2021
- What is COP26? October 27, 2021
- ABC 10 News San Diego KGTV Latest Headlines | October 27, 6pm October 27, 2021
- Scottie Barnes With the POSTER DUNK on Pacers 🔥 October 27, 2021
- John Salley on Will Staying with Jada After Her ‘Entanglement’ (Flashback) October 27, 2021
- Raskin: We Won’t Play ‘Hide And Seek’ With Targets Of Jan. 6 Subpoenas October 27, 2021
- Knicks @ Bulls- Thursday 10/28/21- NBA Betting Picks and Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 27, 2021
- Charlotte Hornets vs Orlando Magic – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Why we still have daylight saving time October 27, 2021
- All-Access | 2021-2022 Warriors Opening Night at Chase Center October 27, 2021
- The Woke World Series: Leftist Hypocrites Miss a Big Opportunity | Ep 373 October 27, 2021
- Democrats’ Billionaire Tax Plan Puts About 700 People in Its Sights October 27, 2021
- Texas man could win $35.6 million if Astros win World Series October 27, 2021
- Blake Swished A Clean Over The Head Shot After The Whistle 😂 October 27, 2021
- NFL Trade Deadline: will the New England Patriots “Buy or Sell”? October 27, 2021
- GOP’s Execution System Halted In Oklahoma October 27, 2021
- Keke Palmer Says She Honored Ancestors Singing National Anthem At World Series | TMZ Sports October 27, 2021
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro could be charged for mishandling the pandemic October 27, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Wants To Educate Dave Chappelle On Transgender Community | TMZ October 27, 2021
- Look ahead to game 2 of the World Series October 27, 2021