Oakland Measure AA Tax Has $2 Million Collection Administration Cost
Oakland, CA – The Oakland City Council will take up item 12 on the “non-content” calendar that presents one of the most confusing motions ever presented to the City Council. The Oakland Measure AA Tax Motion basically asks the City Council not to approve the collection of just the 1st year of the Measure AA Tax Parcel Tax, but says the City Administrator and the City Attorney will go ahead and make the tax itself valid as per what the last Oakland City Council did.
Wow, talk about a fix. The best thing for the Oakland City Council to do is, right off, present a motion to kill this motion, and then offer up a new motion that simply terminates the Oakland Measure AA Tax, completely.
And What Is The Oakland Measure AA Tax?
The Oakland Measure AA Tax is a parcel tax that’s supposed to raise money for education programs but is in limbo because even though it failed to get the necessary 66.67 percent of the vote last year – just because it got 62 percent, the Mayor of Oakland worked to force its collection, anyway.
Again, the Oakland Measure AA Tax money’s use is vague: for education and college preparation, but does not give a detailed plan, even as it would raise up to $90 million over a three year period, and is a 30-year-bond issue. The City staff didn’t give a full explanation of how much money the tax would raise over a 30-year-period.
On December 14th, 2018, the old Oakland City Council (meaning the one with now departed Oakland Councilmembers Abel Guillen, Annie Campbell Washington, and Desley Brooks) voted to basically try and override voter actions, but a lawsuit was filed against that in Alameda County Superior Court. Now, the new Oakland City Council has to deal with this mess.
The basic need is for homeless programs, not this vague plan that’s designed to be a money grab. Oakland needs to focus, laser-like, in ending the problem of homelessness.
And here’s the full video playlist on this Oakland Measure AA issue:
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- ‘You’ve seen guys step up the past couple of games’ | Dave Ragone press conference | Atlanta Falcons October 28, 2021
- VEGAS UNSOLVED: Tonight at 11 p.m. on Channel 8 October 28, 2021
- IMAX CEO on Q3 earnings and outlook: Streaming is not going to ‘threaten the box office at all’ October 28, 2021
- Rep. Chu: ‘I Don’t Think It’s Settled’ After Paid Family Leave Pulled From Social Spending Plan October 28, 2021
- Thursday’s Best Bets: NBA Player Props, Spreads & O/U Picks for October 28th! (6-4 Yesterday!) October 28, 2021
- San Diego Water Authority vote to activate voluntary water conservation October 28, 2021
- Russian Cybercriminals Appear To Have Hacked The NRA October 28, 2021
- Family Advocates For Mental Health Resources Amid High Latino Depression Rates October 28, 2021
- Tyson Beckford on Dave Chappelle’s Transgender Friend Killing Herself (Part 9) October 28, 2021
- LIVE: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D) holds weekly news conference October 28, 2021
- Las Vegas NOW_Esp 1028 October 28, 2021
- David Haubert & Richard Valle motion Alameda County to act on Howard Terminal Ballpark October 28, 2021
- Easy Money 2021 NFL Week 8 Free Picks ATS Wagers Parlay Predictions Bets SHARP Vegas Odds 10/31/21 October 28, 2021
- Biden Goes All-In to End Deadlock With $1.75 Trillion Blueprint October 28, 2021
- How Will Tapering Impact Markets? October 28, 2021
- “We are trying to win games and make the playoffs” | Dean Pees press conference October 28, 2021
- Abandoned bowling ball factory catches fire in north St. Louis County October 28, 2021
- Global supply chain in crisis October 28, 2021
- Texas approves new congressional district map October 28, 2021
- 8NN En Español: Breve Informativo para 10/28/2021 October 28, 2021
- Fighter Timeline: Glover Teixeira October 28, 2021
- Carrier reports strong earnings, CEO says company will be ‘epicenter for cold chain data.’ October 28, 2021
- Biden unveils revised social spending plan, calling it “transformative” October 28, 2021
- British Guy First Time Reacting To MLB One in a Trillion Plays Compilation (WHAT ?!?!) October 28, 2021
- ABC 10 News San Diego KGTV Latest Headlines | October 28, 11am October 28, 2021
- What can Bibiani Gold Stars bring to the Ghana Premier League in the 2021/2022 season? October 28, 2021
- Solo Brands CEO on IPO: Pandemic created a ‘step up’ for e-commerce success and firepits October 28, 2021
- Tom Brady on the New Orleans Saints: One of the Best Football Teams in the NFL | Press Conference October 28, 2021
- Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Ideas Before NFL Trade Deadline | Odell Beckham Jr. For Alex Highsmith? October 28, 2021
- Final Trades: Porsche, Merck, Amazon & more October 28, 2021
- Jayapal: Progressives ‘Intend To Vote For Both [Infrastructure] Bills’ October 28, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Amik Robertson Could Be Traded? Trade For Eagles OT Andre Dillard? October 28, 2021
- FULL MATCH – John Cena vs. Bobby Lashley – WWE Title Match: WWE Great American Bash 2007 October 28, 2021
- Chicago Bears Trade Rumors: 5 NFL Trade Ideas Feat. Allen Robinson, Robert Quinn & Andre Dillard October 28, 2021
- San Francisco, California – 2019 October 28, 2021
- Big call buying in S&P Biotech (XBI) October 28, 2021
- Free NBA Picks Today | SPURS vs MAVERICKS Predictions (10/28/21) NBA Best Bets and NBA Player Props October 28, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders SHOULD Trade for These Players! October 28, 2021
- Guy Fieri Tries Kare Kare | Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives | Food Network October 28, 2021
- Omar Gooding on Allegations Against Cuba Gooding Jr. By 22 Women (Part 16) October 28, 2021