WHO: Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney, Oakland City Administrator Sabrina Landreth, OPD Chief Anne Kirkpatrick, and Guillermo Cespedes, Chief of the Oakland Department of Violence Prevention
WHAT: Address annual crime data and announce the mission of the new Department of Violence Prevention and Chief Guillermo Cespedes
WHEN: Monday, January 6, 10 a.m.
WHERE: Mayor’s Office, Large Conference Room, 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 3rd Floor
In a July 2019 press release, Oakland City Administrator Sabrina Landreth announced Guillermo Cespedes’ appointment as the first permanent Chief of Violence Prevention for the City of Oakland. After an extensive national recruitment performed by The Hawkins Company, Mr. Cespedes was selected from a highly competitive group of candidates to lead the City’s newly established Department of Violence Prevention. The City of Oakland’s Department of Violence Prevention was created under the leadership of Councilwoman Lynette Gibson-McElhaney to better align, amplify, and elevate Oakland’s violence prevention efforts. The department is charged with transforming the City’s violence prevention efforts into a citywide strategy for non-law enforcement approaches to reduce and sustain violent reduction and serve communities impacted by violence to end the cycle of trauma using a public health approach and community-led strategies.
Mr. Cespedes has been lauded as an expert domestic and international violence prevention practioner and leader with a background in social work, focusing on family systems. Previously serving as the Deputy Mayor/Director of the City of Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development (GRYD), Mr. Cespedes established transformative programs including the Summer Night Lights Program and, in collaboration with the LAPD, co-developed citywide comprehensive strategies to respond to and reduce future of violent incidents. In addition, Cespedes led the city in establishing evidence based diagnostics and rigorous evaluations of its violence prevention efforts. Most recently, Mr. Cespedes has applied his family systems based, violence prevention program on a global level as part of a violence prevention program funded by USAID, in several countries with the highest rate of gang related homicides and violent extremist groups.
Mr. Cespedes said, “I am honored and very excited to return to Oakland to join professional colleagues, community advocates, and elected officials in building a balanced, comprehensive violence prevention strategy. Of course, I will draw on my experience in leading proven efforts domestically and internationally, but Oakland is unique, and it will require building on what is already working, and being honest about what has to be improved.” Mr. Cespedes will start his new position on September 23. The Hawkins Company is looking forward to the significant impacts Mr. Cespedes will make on violence prevention in Oakland.
City of Oakland release sent to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland City Auditor Homelessness Report Blasts Encampments Without Solution To Problem
- Zennie Abraham Zennie62Media Presentation On Social Media For Your International Trade Business
- City Auditor, Courtney Ruby: Oakland Homeless Encampments Cost City Of Oakland $12.6 Million
- YouTube’s Creator Responsibility Initiative
- Jonathan Pentland Soldier In Jail After Assault On Black Young Man In South Carolina Is Lesson
- Jessica Dwyer Talks With Zennie Abraham About Her Tony Todd Candyman Interview
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Wednesday Meeting April 14, 2021
- Jadeveon Clowney Signs One Year Deal with Browns | CBS Sports HQ
- Brandon Dawkins Thanks Oakland Police Officer Mike For Service At Oakland Coliseum During Raiders Games
- AmeriCorps NCCC Team Blue 5 Oakland Mobile Vaccine Pop-Up
- Getting Vaccinated At The Oakland Coliseum Site
- Prosecuting Attorney In Chauvin Trial Reduces Chauvin Defense Pathology Expert Claims To Nothing
- Coinbase Direct Listing Discussion
- Rachael “Rachul” Frieza Crossfit Super Muscular Hot Instagram Female Athlete @rachulfreyafit
- Brian Armstrong Coinbase CEO Who Gave Me My First Bitcoin After Meeting At Mars Bar SF, Goes Public
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick