Note: “Let us be clear – Mayor Schaaf and her administration oppose ANY cuts to the budget at this time. That’s why we oppose the Council’s proposed $4 million tax break for the highest-grossing cannabis businesses in Oakland. The Oakland City Council asked us to identify the least-impactful cuts needed to maintain a balanced budget IF the tax-break is approved. Our response to the Council’s request is to freeze new positions that have never been filled, as well as delay recently approved increases to services that have yet to be enacted.”
Justin Berton, Spokesperson for Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf
OAKLAND, CA – On Friday, December 6, 2019, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf sent the following message to Oakland residents regarding Oakland City Council’s proposed $4 million a year tax-break to Oakland’s largest cannabis businesses.
A message from Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf:
This Tuesday December 10th, our Oakland City Council is poised to give a massive $4 million a year tax-break to Oakland’s largest cannabis businesses. I urge you to call your councilmembers to oppose this reckless give-away.
Last Spring, the City Council already reduced taxes for the smallest 150 of the 195 registered cannabis businesses in Oakland. Tuesday’s proposed action will benefit the largest businesses — with most of it going to a handful of businesses that gross more than $1.5 million a year!
And IF the Oakland City Council approves this irresponsible tax-break, insist they are transparent and responsible by specifying the services they will cut to pay for it. By law, the City Council must maintain a balanced budget.
A tax break for the wealthiest cannabis businesses is a bad deal for Oaklanders. Our city faces urgent challenges and is under-resourced to solve them. Even though we are spending historic amounts of resources to combat our homelessness crisis and build more affordable housing, we are still deeply under-funded in those critical areas.
How can we justify a massive tax break for big cannabis right now?
I urge you to contact your City Councilmember today and ask them to vote “no” on the big cannabis tax-break.
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf
ACTION REQUEST: Call your Councilmember at 238-700[your district #] or Email all Councilmembers to express your concerns at email@example.com. At Large Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan’s office can be reached at 238-7008.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Ludacris Discusses New Venture Into TV | Zerlina. October 28, 2021
- Putin’s order to fill Gazprom’s EU storage facilities prompts gas prices to fall October 28, 2021
- NFL Picks – Green Bay Packers vs Arizona Cardinals Prediction, 10/28/2021 Week 8 NFL Best Bet Today October 28, 2021
- FSB neutralizes ISIS supporter in Murmansk, Russia October 28, 2021
- BEST strike partnerships in Premier League history | Thierry Henry + Dennis Bergkamp & more | Part 1 October 28, 2021
- A’s + Alameda: Key Points for Howard Terminal Ballpark October 28, 2021
- Zoe in San Francisco | Vlog in the USA | iPhone 13 | Purple Tea💜 October 28, 2021
- Highlights: Preston 0-2 Liverpool | Origi scores an outrageous goal in the Carabao Cup October 28, 2021
- How Ina Garten blew off the Food network October 28, 2021
- Houston Astros dominate Atlanta Braves to even up World Series with strong Game 2 win – US News October 28, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Full Highlights – World Series Game 2 – 10/27/2021 October 28, 2021
- LIVE: NBC News NOW – October 28 October 28, 2021
- Biden delays Europe departure to meet with Democratic caucus October 28, 2021
- Should children ages 5 to 11 be vaccinated? Hear from Dr. Fauci October 28, 2021
- Who is Julian Assange and why does the US want to extradite him? – BBC News October 28, 2021
- Professional Baseball Pitcher Tyler Herron Dies At 35 October 28, 2021
- Soyuz 2.1a rocket blasts off from Baikonur with cargo for ISS onboard October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: Sir David Attenborough urges nations to cooperate on climate change October 28, 2021
- Improvements are needed to make the ‘green choice the easy choice’ October 28, 2021
- China’s Climate Envoy Urges Help For Developing Countries Ahead of COP26 October 28, 2021
- Rishi Sunak defends National Insurance hike and meat eating October 28, 2021
- San Francisco honors Fil-Am community heroes | TFC News California, USA October 28, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Preview and Betting Picks October 28, 2021
- Sky News Breakfast: Kay Burley questions the Chancellor about the National Insurance rise October 28, 2021
- 남자 ASMR FOOD SPICY CHINESE FOODS MUKBANG #3340 October 28, 2021
- Rachel Reeves: ‘The issue is who is taxed.’ October 28, 2021
- WOMAN DEAD IN THREE-VEHICLE CRASH ON 3300 GRAND AVENUE [OAKLAND, CA] October 28, 2021
- Keiser Report | Bitcoin is the Language of Diplomacy | E1768 October 28, 2021
- The Undertaker rises from the casket: WWE Royal Rumble 1994 October 28, 2021
- Grizzlies vs. Warriors 10/28/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 28, 2021
- Free NBA Picks Today (Wednesday, Oct 27th) 🏀 | NBA Expert Predictions and Best Odds October 28, 2021
- Houston Rockets vs Utah Jazz 10/28/21 Free NBA Pick and Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 28, 2021
- Next Gen Stats: Expected Rushing Yards Explained October 28, 2021
- Alvin Kamara & Mark Ingram || “Boom & Zoom” || 2017-2018 Highlights October 28, 2021
- Mark Ingram 2020-2021 Highlights October 28, 2021
- DeFouw Chevrolet Celebrates 60 Years 10 25 21 October 28, 2021
- Katie Ledecky explains how chocolate milk helped her win a gold medal l GMA Digital October 28, 2021
- 49ers Botch Trade Offer From Patriots: San Francisco 49ers Morning Show October 28, 2021
- U.S. Developing Hypersonic Weapons in China Challenge: Pentagon October 28, 2021
- Ambidextrous artist wows TikTok with his unique skill l GMA Digital October 28, 2021