Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong Announce New Dedicated Liaisons to Non-English Speaking Communities to Increase Safety and Trust
Note, just an hour after Mayor Schaaf’s Office issued the press release this post is based on, Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunado Bas issued a tweet that she met with Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong, and based on that meeting, a dedicated Chinese-speaking police officer position was restored. Ms. Bas did not mention the Mayor of Oakland’s action in her tweet. See:
Oakland – Mayor Libby Schaaf and Oakland Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong today announced the creation of dedicated Police Liaisons to the two largest non-English speaking communities in Oakland — Chinatown and Fruitvale – within the Chief’s office, as well as other safety enhancements. Chief Armstrong will have the new dedicated Liaison positions report directly to the Office of the Chief of Police.
“When I was sworn in last week, I pledged to the Oakland community that OPD would protect and serve, reduce crime and build trusting relationships in our community,” said Armstrong. “The liaison’s role is designed to bridge cultural gaps and language barriers, open the channels of communication, work together to build trusting relationships, and increase community safety.”
“The horrific targeting of victims based on race or nationality has no place in our diverse, sanctuary city of Oakland. We will restore these officers – as so many in the community have demanded – while at the same time invest in non-police safety measures as well. Holistic community safety has always been my priority,” said Mayor Schaaf. “While Oakland continues to struggle from the economic impacts of Covid, restoring these dedicated Police Liaisons and elevating their positions are a necessary investment to keep some of our most vulnerable communities safe.”
Mayor Schaaf also pledged to fast-track grants for additional security cameras for Chinatown and announced a $30,000 private grant to the Vietnamese American Community Center of the East Bay. With recent increases in violent crimes across the city and disturbing assaults against elderly victims in Chinatown, this announcement was met with support from community leaders.
“We appreciate the creation of this dedicated resource for Chinatown and our Chinese-speaking residents, particularly our seniors,” said Carl Chan, of the Chinatown Chamber of Commerce. “Mayor Schaaf has been a consistent voice for public safety.”
“Chinatown asked for our Mayor to help restore police presence and she did,” said Spencer Chew, President of the Oakland Loong Kong Tien Yee Association and Oakland Consolidated Chinese Association Elder. “We also appreciate the responsiveness of our new Police Chief Armstrong as we want everyone to celebrate the Lunar New Year with a sense of safety, especially following such recent traumatic crimes.”
“Having a dedicated Spanish-speaking officer in the Fruitvale, along with Oakland’s sanctuary policies, will increase our Spanish-speaking residents’ sense of safety,” said Chris Iglesias, CEO of the Unity Council. “We appreciate the Mayor’s long-standing commitment to our community. We haven’t forgotten the tremendous risks she took standing up to Trump to protect all immigrants.”
These neighborhood-based Liaisons will work closely with other police ancillary Liaisons for the African American Community, LGBTQ+ Community and Muslim Community to serve as trusted, culturally competent liaisons to these communities, as well as to advise Chief Armstrong in his efforts to improve their sense of safety and trust.
Press release based on email to Zennie62Media from Oakland Mayor’s Office.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime