Oakland’s Face and Body Day Spa, Bardo Lounge and Supper Club, Aisle 5 on Grand, and the Grand Lake Theater are some of the great places to go out and about!
Oakland Lake Merritt, Adams Point, Lakeshore: There’s a lot going on within this area of our city that spans an area that goes from Highland Avenue downhill to Broadway and Telegraph Avenue. What’s cool is you can search for what’s happening and happened from whereever you are in the World via social media. That’s what’s happening, here.
A search for #Oakland on Instagram reveals a lot of interesting photos, but few more so than this one, the featured image with the parked Ford Mustang in it. The place is immediately recognizable to the tiny (relative to the Oakland and World population) number of people who live near Santa Clara and is at 460 Santa Clara Ave.
That’s just up the hill that is on Santa Clara from the Grand Lake Theater and the building is the home of a number of personal care businesses including Face and Body Day Spa.
The Face and Body Day Spa is said to be the last black-female-owned establishment of its type in Oakland. The hours are from 10 AM to 6 PM, and you can find out more at the website here: www.fabdayspa.com.
One thing: if you’re going to 460 Santa Clara Ave, don’t park in the yellow zone as this patron did! That’s a sure fire ticket to a tow by Oakland’s parking zombies. That specific area needs parking to serve it, and it’s a long time coming. It’s a ticket trap. The best place to park (well, the only place to park) is on Grand Avenue, just down hill.
If you’re not into getting your nails done, there places to eat, drink, and talk. The newest of them is called the Bardo Lounge and Supper Club over at 3343 Lakeshore Avenue. This place, located right next to the Starbucks on Lakeshore, same side of the street, has quickly gained a following.
The Bardo Lounge and Supper Club is a kind of throw back style place, intended (it seems) to reflect a kind of jazz culture of a past that should have never went away. On Instagram maemanns said “Love the atmosphere here, noise level is high, drinks were strong and tasty, food was delicious, a little on the salty side. dessert was interesting, might need to be adventurous to try.”
If you’re not into a jazz supper club, there’s The Alley at 3325 Grand Avenue, and where genius piano player Rod Dibble held court until his passing a year ago. Here’s one of a number of videos at Zennie62 on YouTube featuring Mr. Dibble…
There’s also Aisle 5 across the street and at 3320 Grand Avenue. Aisle 5 Oakland is a sports bar that’s quite welcoming to patrons and fills a giant sports bar less void in Oakland. I met my friend, Coliseum Joint Powers Authority Board Member Chris Dobbins there a few months ago:
And then, there’s the Grand Lake Theater, where its owner Allan Michaan is now really its owner and is playing Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, and Green Book, as this is written. Allan has not only presented some of the best movies of our time, but helped local Oaklanders make movies, too. Here’s Mr. Michaan talking about East Side Sushi in 2015:
So, go and get out and about in Oakland, Adams Point, and Lake Merritt!
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Three earthquakes near Charleston, South Carolina September 28, 2021
- Home For Sale At 6690 Outlook Ave Oakland, CA 94605 September 28, 2021
- John Guillory Stars In What Happened to the Black People in Oakland? Part One September 28, 2021
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 09.26.21 September 28, 2021
- FISHER BLOCK PARTY – Oakland 2021 – 4K September 28, 2021
- Fisher block party (Oakland) 9/25/21 September 28, 2021
- Fisher Block Party Oakland Live Technomusic Experience September 28, 2021
- Britney Spears’ Dad Allegedly Bugged Her Phone and Home September 27, 2021
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Isn’t As Innocent As She Claims September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquakes – Dr Wendy Rocks Explains Why They Happened Today September 27, 2021
- Parents deny involvement in Brian Laundrie’s disappearance as FBI continues search September 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update – Oakland Doesn’t Need Alameda County For TIF, Loren Taylor Town Hall Tonight September 27, 2021
- Coach Gruden Presser | 9.27.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 27, 2021
- Bay Area Transparency Clashes With Oakland Police At Public Works Annex, Again September 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Is QB Derek Carr Leading In The MVP Race Right Now? By Eric Pangilinan September 27, 2021
- Oakland Police YouTube Video – Meet Deputy Chief Drennon Lindsey September 27, 2021
- KTVU’s Dave Clark Reports Sideshow Draws 70 Spectators in Oakland September 27, 2021
- Oakland Dynamites (8U) Big Play Highlights – 09.25.21 September 27, 2021
- With Double Slaying Sunday, Oakland Marks 102 Homicides So Far in 2021 September 27, 2021
- Rapper R Kelly Guilty Of Racketeering Sex Trafficking And Assault Expected To Get Decades In Jail September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquake Today | Magnitude 3.1 earthquake Near Summerville, North Charleston September 27, 2021
- Crete earthquake – Brit tourists terrified as mag-6 quake rocks Greek island September 27, 2021
- WorldView: Earthquake hits Greece; Volcano erupts in Spain’s Canary Islands September 27, 2021
- Magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes the Greek island of Crete September 27, 2021
- Beck Bennett Leaves SNL Saturday Night Live After Historic 2020, 8 Years – Check His Instagram Page September 27, 2021