Oakland Lacrosse Club to Hold Annual Fundraiser Thursday Evening to Support Thousands of OUSD Students with the Original North American Sport
Oakland – On Thursday evening, October 8, an important partner to Oakland schools and our students is holding its annual fundraiser. The Oakland Lacrosse Club (OLC) is hosting a virtual fundraiser to raise money to help it serve its student athletes. Every year, OLC shares the sport of lacrosse with 2,500 OUSD students, and 175 sixth to twelfth graders participate in the year round program.
The money raised will help OLC support the creation of girls varsity lacrosse programs at every OUSD-run high school, provide intensive college counseling for 100 high school players, and continue to build a 6th to 12th grade pipeline offering the sport of lacrosse to all youth in Oakland public schools.
Lacrosse is a sport similar to soccer played on the same kind of field, yet with a small rubber ball that is thrown back and forth between players using sticks with nets on one end. The boys version is full contact, so they wear helmets and pads. The girls game has contact similar to basketball, so they don’t wear helmets or pads, but they do wear safety goggles. The sport is a descendent of what was called baggataway, which was invented by Native Americans in the 15th century. Oakland Technical High School has had a girls varsity team and a boys club team for several years, and girls varsity teams are coming to Oakland High and Skyline High, the latter of which used to have a boys varsity team.
Like every organization, Oakland Lacrosse has faced challenges because of the pandemic. Undaunted, OLC created a fall program in which 10 coaches oversee 60 players and provide weekly check-ins on academics, wellness and fitness. Players can join the coaches at social distance lacrosse and fitness workouts around the city so they have the opportunity to exercise and connect with their teammates. OLC also partnered with ESM prep to provide intensive college counseling for high school juniors and seniors, half of whom will be the first in their family to go to college.
The fundraiser is free to attend, and will include an awards ceremony. OUSD Communications Director, John Sasaki, who is a lifelong lacrosse player and current high school coach, will serve as emcee.
WHAT: Oakland Lacrosse Club Annual (Virtual) Fundraiser
WHEN: 6:00 p.m., Thursday, October 8
REGISTER HERE: http://oaklandlacrosse.org/virtual-benefit. To donate to Oakland Lacrosse Club, click here.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Post based on press release from Oakland Unified School District to Zennie62Media, Inc.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Philippines Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan Philippines Reaction
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home
- Howard Terminal Ballpark: A Gift To Oakland And Its People – By Kevin M. Corbett
- Another Djokovic Vs Nadal Classic At 2021 French Open Nearly Marred By Curfew, But Loop-Hole Found
- Fayetteville Georgia Weather: Thunderstorm High Winds At 3:22 PM EST Friday June 11th
- Ayodele Nzinga: City Of Oakland Announces Inaugural Poet Laureate
- Oakland Black NFL Football Group Coliseum Stadium Proposal On July 20th City Council Agenda
- Nate Miley Alameda County Supervisor Holds Statewide Illegal Dumping Conference April 21, 2021
- Oakland Coliseum A’s Game Security Worker YouTube Vlog Shows Typical Day
- Trayvon Mullen Las Vegas Raiders Safety Needs To Step Up Says Eric Pangilinan For Zennie62
- Have You Ever Watched The Mars Live Webcam On YouTube? If Not You’re Missing The Future Now
- WATCH: Mars Cam Views from NASA Rover during Red Planet Exploration #Mars2020
- Trayvon Mullen Las Vegas Raiders Safety Needs To Step Up Says Eric Pangilinan
- Major League Baseball Doesn’t Care About Cheating In Sticky-Substance Controversy – Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Could Josh Jacob’s Be A Hold Out At Mini Camp – By Joseph Armendariz
- Kevin Durant Misses Three That Would Have Put Nets Vs Bucks Game 3 Into Overtime