Oakland Lacrosse Club to Hold Annual Fundraiser Thursday Evening to Support Thousands of OUSD Students with the Original North American Sport
Oakland – On Thursday evening, October 8, an important partner to Oakland schools and our students is holding its annual fundraiser. The Oakland Lacrosse Club (OLC) is hosting a virtual fundraiser to raise money to help it serve its student athletes. Every year, OLC shares the sport of lacrosse with 2,500 OUSD students, and 175 sixth to twelfth graders participate in the year round program.
The money raised will help OLC support the creation of girls varsity lacrosse programs at every OUSD-run high school, provide intensive college counseling for 100 high school players, and continue to build a 6th to 12th grade pipeline offering the sport of lacrosse to all youth in Oakland public schools.
Lacrosse is a sport similar to soccer played on the same kind of field, yet with a small rubber ball that is thrown back and forth between players using sticks with nets on one end. The boys version is full contact, so they wear helmets and pads. The girls game has contact similar to basketball, so they don’t wear helmets or pads, but they do wear safety goggles. The sport is a descendent of what was called baggataway, which was invented by Native Americans in the 15th century. Oakland Technical High School has had a girls varsity team and a boys club team for several years, and girls varsity teams are coming to Oakland High and Skyline High, the latter of which used to have a boys varsity team.
Like every organization, Oakland Lacrosse has faced challenges because of the pandemic. Undaunted, OLC created a fall program in which 10 coaches oversee 60 players and provide weekly check-ins on academics, wellness and fitness. Players can join the coaches at social distance lacrosse and fitness workouts around the city so they have the opportunity to exercise and connect with their teammates. OLC also partnered with ESM prep to provide intensive college counseling for high school juniors and seniors, half of whom will be the first in their family to go to college.
The fundraiser is free to attend, and will include an awards ceremony. OUSD Communications Director, John Sasaki, who is a lifelong lacrosse player and current high school coach, will serve as emcee.
WHAT: Oakland Lacrosse Club Annual (Virtual) Fundraiser
WHEN: 6:00 p.m., Thursday, October 8
REGISTER HERE: http://oaklandlacrosse.org/virtual-benefit. To donate to Oakland Lacrosse Club, click here.
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 81 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Post based on press release from Oakland Unified School District to Zennie62Media, Inc.
LET ZENNIE62MEDIA TELL YOUR STORY
Let ZENNIE62MEDIA Tell The Story About You The Media Refuses To Produce. Visit our site and hire Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rusty Hardin Says Tony Buzbee Deshaun Watson Settlement Not Happening Talk Is Ironic
- Mads Mikkelsen And Anders Jensen Blockbuster Interview With Zennie62Media’s Jessica Dwyer
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Seeks To Drown A’s Fans In Water At Coliseum
- Mads Mikkelsen Oscars: Mads Mikkelsen, Anders Jensen, Riders Of Justice Interview: Jessica Dwyer
- Oakland Schools: OUSD 2021 Classified School Employees Of The Year
- Biden Press Secretary Jen Psaki Statement On Restart of Colonial Pipeline And Continued Federal Government Efforts To Mitigate Impacts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In Relocation Talks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick
- City Of Oakland Eviction Moratorium Not Impacted By Federal Ruling
- RaceTrac Fayetteville Ga Gas Pumps Out Of Gas Except Diesel Due To Cyberattack
- 2021 NFL Schedule Revealed On NFL Network’s Schedule Release 21 Show
- NFL Gives Nine Social Justice Programs $2.5 Million
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With Bike Oakland: Bancroft And International
- Rockets Kill 2 Israelis, Airstrikes Kill 28 In Gaza | MSNBC
- Crocker Highlands Mid-Century, Oakland, CA, 94610
- Violent Israeli-Palestinian Unrest Kills At Least 33 | The 11th Hour
- MLB tells Oakland A’s to start exploring other cities
- Team Coverage: Major League Baseball Greenlights Oakland A’s To Consider Relocating
- Talk’s Las Vegas Athletics For Oakland A’s Relocation But Portland Has 50K Signatures For MLB Ballpark
- Rep Liz Chaney Speech On House Floor On Eve Of Vote To Oust Her From House GOP Leadership