Oakland – As the air travel industry adjusts to the COVID-19 pandemic, Oakland International Airport (OAK) is taking steps to protect travelers and workers– both now and in the future. OAK has instituted a Resiliency Task Force to examine all aspects of the Airport’s management and operations, both for short- and long-term sustainability.
Oakland International Airport (OAK) Resiliency Task Force convenes members of the Airport’s operational teams to help minimize spread of COVID-19, encourage and plan for safe air travel, and establish comfort among travelers both now and in the future.
The Airport has addressed public health concerns since early March, when the Port of Oakland accommodated the berthing of a Princess Cruise Ship with COVID-19 cases aboard. Oakland International Airport (OAK) is owned and operated by the Port, and facilitated flights for the ship’s occupants. With the ensuing pandemic, OAK and its partners have taken numerous steps to adapt to the new realities of COVID-19.
Director of Aviation, Bryant L. Francis, C.M. said, “I am extremely proud of how well my team at Oakland International Airport (OAK) and our many business partners have adapted, working together to ensure that safe travel remains available to and from Oakland International. I am confident in our ability to move forward together effectively and successfully, and believe that OAK will remain a critical gateway for Bay Area residents and visitors as we prepare for a newly-imagined future inclusive of air travel.”
This week, the trade association representing North American Airports urged the U.S. government to adopt guidelines for the use of facial coverings by all individuals in the public areas of airport terminals. Oakland International Airport (OAK) has required the use of face-coverings since April 22, 2020, in accordance with the Alameda County Health Order. Oakland International Airport (OAK) is working with law enforcement partners to enforce applicable requirements and educate the public to ensure the safety of everyone at the Airport. TSA is not under Alameda County jurisdiction, and is not required to enforce the Order.
To date, OAK’s Resiliency Task Force has facilitated safety enhancement measures in compliance with CDC and Alameda County Public Health Orders, and is working toward additional adjustments, including:
• Installation of social distancing markers
• Safe queuing assistance for security checkpoint lines
• Plexiglass guards for Terminal 1 ticket counters, boarding gate counters, and Customs & Border Protection counters for international arrivals
• Adjusted gate, seating, and staffing plans to allow social distancing with the Terminals
• Temporary suspension of high-exposure operations while experiencing low activity volumes, including the Airport’s taxi-stands, employee shuttle bus services, and operation of the Volunteer Ambassadors Program
• Adoption of new cleaning and disinfecting supplies and practices along with use of new supplies & equipment to assist in that effort.
The Airport continues to evaluate safety measures for employees and passengers during the pandemic. Members of the public are encouraged to visit the Port of Oakland’s Coronavirus Blog for updates.
OAK Prepared for Future of Travel – 1
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the most centrally-located airport in the 7.7M population Bay Area region, and closest airport to the region’s wealth of business and tourism venues.
The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port of Oakland supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with a $130 Billion Economic Impact.
For departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details on shopping, dining, transportation, and more, visit www.oaklandairport.com. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
This post was made from a press release sent by The Port Of Oakland to Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol