Slow COVID-19 rebound likely, says Bryant Francis, but travel should pick up
Oakland, Calif. – June 3, 2020: Coronavirus recovery could come slowly to the aviation sector, Oakland International Airport’s top executive warned today. But Bryant Francis expressed confidence that travelers would soon begin returning to the skies.
“Many life-long travelers, like myself, are itching to hop back on board,” the Port of Oakland’s Aviation Director said during a Zoom interview. “And we’re doing everything we can behind the scenes to be ready when passengers return in greater numbers.”
Oakland’s top aviation official spoke as part of a video series updating Port of Oakland operations. You can see the video below.
Mr. Francis said it could take 2-to-3 years for the aviation industry to recover from coronavirus. That’s because travel restrictions adopted to prevent the spread of COVID-19 have devastated business, he explained. Mr. Francis said Oakland passenger volume dropped 60 percent in March and 95 percent in April. Similar declines are being reported worldwide.
“We had fewer than 50,000 passengers at Oakland in April,” the Aviation Director pointed out. “A year ago, in April, we had 1.1 million.”
The good news, Mr. Francis reported, is that surveys indicate pent-up desire among travelers to resume flying. What’s more, he said, U.S. regulators could ease restrictions on flying in coming months. The Aviation Director had advice for frustrated travelers:
Watch for signals from government and industry that non-essential air travel may soon be welcome.
Be alert for new travel requirements that could make flying more complicated.
In the meantime, check schedules well ahead of time because airlines continue to monitor demand and adjust flights accordingly.
Mr. Francis said passenger erosion has darkened the Port of Oakland’s financial outlook. The damage is magnified because the Port doesn’t receive local tax revenue, as do other public agencies, he explained. The Port is reacting by cutting expenditures and shelving capital improvements, Mr. Francis added.
The Aviation Director insisted that his industry would bounce back once COVID-19 is better controlled. “I absolutely do see air travel recovering,” he said. “People want to travel again and we’ve gone above and beyond to make it safe in Oakland…from stepped up sanitization and social distancing to mandatory face masks and plexiglass shields at ticket counters and gates. We’re looking ahead to how we must change to improve the customer experience.”
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 76ERS at THUNDER | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry with 28 Points, 7 threes & the DAGGER vs Thunder 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green UNREAL 30 points, 8 threes highlights vs Celtics 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Having a DUNKFEST 🔥 Back to back NASTY Dunks October 24, 2021
- By Not Having The NFL, Oakland Misses Free Marketing That San Francisco Enjoys For SNF October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE: San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts Live stream – Colts @ 49ers Live October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Oklahoma City Thunder – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry SHUSHING THE OKC CROWD with 7th Three October 24, 2021
- NFL REACTS TO LAS VEGAS RAIDERS BEATING PHILADELPHIA EAGLES | LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WINS 33-22 October 24, 2021
- BEARS VS BUCS (Live Reaction) – Tom Brady 600th Passing TD October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Levitates for the Dunk to Give Him 28 Pts in the Game! October 24, 2021
- Moscone rain shelter at capacity October 24, 2021
- GO EAGLES! / Philadelphia vr Las Vegas Raiders October 24, 2021
- ‘That was a shocker!’ | Neville gives damning verdict on Man Utd October 24, 2021
- “Welcome to the League” Joel Embiid HARD Foul on rookie Josh Giddey October 24, 2021
- 49ers Get the Interception in the Red Zone! October 24, 2021
- Moritz Wagner With the NASTY DUNK Over Obi Toppin October 24, 2021
- San Anselmo Creek could flood October 24, 2021
- Storm Sends Trees Crashing Down Across San Francisco October 24, 2021
- NFL DFS Showdown Live Before Lock SNF Week 7 Colts vs. 49ers Showdown | October 17 October 24, 2021
- Matt Nagy on loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- 49ers vs Colts Live Streaming Scoreboard, Play-By-Play, 49ers Highlights, Updates, Stats| NFL Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Rain Not Bothering the Colts October 24, 2021
- Who’s to blame for the Eagles’ terrible defense against the Raiders | Eagles Postgame Live October 24, 2021
- NFL PICKS: New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 24, 2021
- Al Horford Teaches Rookie Alperen Sengun A Lesson 👀 October 24, 2021
- Candal Vigil for Halyna Hutchinsn After Fatal Shooting October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE : San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts | NFL 2021 Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Victory Speech: Sean McVay Hands Out Game Balls After Week 7 Win vs. Lions October 24, 2021
- Coach Bisaccia, Carr, Ngakoue, Moreau, Miller and Drake Postgame Presser | Week 7 | Raiders | NFL October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Santa Rosa apartment building, 95 homes evacuated due to flooding October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert Highlights from Week 7 | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Storm Watch Forecast: The latest storm forecast from the KPIX 5 weather team October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson With a KNEE INJURY 😨 October 24, 2021
- Golden State Warriors VS Sacramento Kings 10/24/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert talks loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Justin Fields on loss to Tampa Bay: ‘We gotta continue to work’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Roquan Smith: ‘Can’t let this game beat us twice’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- SNF LIVE: Indianapolis Colts @ San Francisco 49ers Live stream – 49ers vs. Colts LIVE October 24, 2021