Oakland – A steep decline in air travel is one of many shifts in culture caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic. With California and many other states under Shelter in Place orders since mid-March, Oakland International Airport now reports that it experienced a 96% decline in passenger traffic during the month of April, compared with April 2019.
April 2020 represented the first full month of COVID-19 impact, with 45,819 total passengers at OAK. This is a 90% decline when compared with 451,799 passengers served in March 2020, and a 96% decline from the 1,136,370 passengers served in April 2019.
Oakland International Airport: MONTHLY PASSENGER TOTALS:
1 MONTH DECLINE
1 YEAR DECLINE
Port of Oakland Director of Aviation, Bryant L. Francis said, “Our team remains focused on safety in all facets of the Airport’s operation, whether related to our terminal, parking, roadways, or airfield as we navigate through the ever-changing environment. While passenger traffic levels are severely hampered, we understand the decline is a necessary sacrifice many are making in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19. We know travelers will eventually return in greater numbers, and they can have confidence in our preparedness to welcome them back when they are ready.”
The Airport said that it is focused on ensuring travelers and workers feel safe and comfortable at OAK, both now and once travel restrictions are lifted. A Resiliency Task Force has been instituted at the Airport to assess, plan, and deliver the Airport’s response to COVID-19 and address needs for recovery. Updates include floor-markings, face-covering requirements, seat-spacing to allow social distancing, and plexiglass guards at ticketing and check-in counters.
With the summer travel season commencing with the upcoming Memorial Day Holiday, the Airport said that it is seeing an increase in scheduled weekly departures through June, however, it is still too early to know how the pandemic will continue to affect travelers’ plans.
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the most centrally-located airport in the 7.7M population Bay Area region, and closest airport to the region’s wealth of business and tourism venues.
The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with a $130 Billion Economic Impact.
For departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details on shopping, dining, transportation, and more, visit www.oaklandairport.com. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
This post based on a press release from Port of Oakland to Zennie62Media.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL PICKS: New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 24, 2021
- Al Horford Teaches Rookie Alperen Sengun A Lesson 👀 October 24, 2021
- Candal Vigil for Halyna Hutchinsn After Fatal Shooting October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE : San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts | NFL 2021 Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Victory Speech: Sean McVay Hands Out Game Balls After Week 7 Win vs. Lions October 24, 2021
- Coach Bisaccia, Carr, Ngakoue, Moreau, Miller and Drake Postgame Presser | Week 7 | Raiders | NFL October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Santa Rosa apartment building, 95 homes evacuated due to flooding October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert Highlights from Week 7 | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Storm Watch Forecast: The latest storm forecast from the KPIX 5 weather team October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson With a KNEE INJURY 😨 October 24, 2021
- Golden State Warriors VS Sacramento Kings 10/24/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert talks loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Justin Fields on loss to Tampa Bay: ‘We gotta continue to work’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Roquan Smith: ‘Can’t let this game beat us twice’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- SNF LIVE: Indianapolis Colts @ San Francisco 49ers Live stream – 49ers vs. Colts LIVE October 24, 2021
- The Book of Eli! 49ers March Down the Field on the Ground October 24, 2021
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Chicago Bears Full Highligh 2nd Quarter | NFL Week 7, 2021 October 24, 2021
- NC State vs. Miami Football Highlight (2021) October 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Full Game Highlights | NFL Week 7 2021 October 24, 2021
- NBA Fan Makes $20,000 Half Court Shot October 24, 2021
- Google Account बनाना सीखे 2021 | 🧐Bilkul आसान Hai | Always Tech Knowledge October 24, 2021
- STORM TRACKER 2: Bay Area hit hard with heavy rain and strong wind October 24, 2021
- San Mateo Evacuation orders October 24, 2021
- RAIDERS vs. EAGLES Post-Game Show – LIVE from SAHARA Las Vegas October 24, 2021
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Chicago Bears Full Highligh 3rd Quarter | NFL Week 7, 2021 October 24, 2021
- #2 Cincinnati vs Navy Football Game Highlights 10 23 2021 October 24, 2021
- Maryland at Minnesota | Big Ten Football | Oct. 23, 2021 | Extended Highlights October 24, 2021
- Bucs Celebrate After Win vs.Bears | Celebration Cam October 24, 2021
- Highlights: Rams Win Against Detroit Lions In Week 7 Matchup At SoFi Stadium October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson COOKING UP the Magic With The Slam Dunks 🔥🔥 October 24, 2021
- Es Edge vs Seth Rollins la Lucha del 2021?: WWE Ahora Xpress, Oct 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Top Plays from Week 7 Win vs. Texans | Arizona Cardinals October 24, 2021
- The $20,000 Shot! 🤩 October 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Highlights 4th Qtr | NFL Week 7 2021 October 24, 2021
- Carolina Panthers vs New York Giants Week 7 Full Highlights | NFL 2021 October 24, 2021
- Tennessee vs #4 Alabama Football Game Highlights 10 23 2021 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green From Logo Range at the Buzzer! 🎯 October 24, 2021
- Oba Toppin with the Left Hand ALLEY-OOP Dunk vs Magic 🔥🔥 October 24, 2021
- Chicago Bears vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021