Oakland High and Oakland Tech Girls California Basketball Champions will be honored today in Oakland, starting with a parade at 12:30 PM PST. Here’s the Oakland Unified School District (Google search: organizations in Oakland) press release sent to Zennie62Media.
Oakland, CA – They have been honored by their families, their classmates, their schools, members of the OUSD Board of Education, the Oakland A’s and the Golden State Warriors, and now the City of Oakland, state legislators, and OUSD will be honoring the city’s two State Champion Basketball teams on Friday, April 12.
The girls teams from Oakland High and Oakland Tech will ride in trolleys in a parade through Downtown and around the central part of Oakland on Friday afternoon, followed by a banquet at City Hall. Capping off the events will be a rally outside City Hall.
The parade begins (with Oakland Police escort) at Oakland Technical High School at 12:30 p.m., and it will pass by a dozen OUSD schools, and through the Grand Lake neighborhood. The schools’ cheer teams and State Senator Nancy Skinner and Assemblyman Rob Bonta will ride with the players through the city.
For any residents or other people in Oakland who want to cheer on the Oakland Tech Bulldogs and the Oakland High Wildcats as they pass by in the parade, and for media who would like to cover the celebration, here is a schedule of where the teams will be and when.
OUSD Girls Champions Parade Route Outline
(All times approximate. Anticipating 1 minute at each school, except Oakland Tech and Oakland High which will be about 10 minutes each.)
● Starts at Oakland Tech – 4351 Broadway (Depart at 12:30)
● Heads down Broadway into Jack London Square (arrive at 12:38)
● Back Up Broadway, past 1000 Broadway, then right on 11th Street (arrive at 12:40)
● Lincoln Elementary – 225 11th St (arrive at 12:42)
● Dewey Academy – 1111 Second Ave (arrive at 12:45)
● La Escuelita and MetWest High – 1050 2nd Ave & 314 E 10th Street (arrive at 12:47)
● Franklin Elementary – 915 Foothill Blvd (arrive at 12:53)
● Cleveland Elementary – 745 Cleveland St (arrive at 1:00)
● Bella Vista Elementary– 1025 E 28th St (arrive at 1:15)
● Edna Brewer Middle – 3748 13th Ave (arrive at 1:20)
● Oakland High – 1023 MacArthur Blvd (arrive at 1:26)
● Pass through Grand Lake Area (arrive at 1:41)
● Westlake Middle – 2629 Harrison St (arrive at 1:49)
● Street Academy – 417 29th St (arrive at 1:54)
● City Hall – 1 Frank Ogawa (arrive at 2:03)
The Parade ends at City Hall where the teams will have a banquet. Media interviews can be conducted after the teams arrive and before the rally which begins at 4:00 p.m. Speakers at the rally will include City leaders, District leaders, the schools’ principals and coaches, Olympic Gold Medalist and former WNBA player, Ruthie Bolton and of couse, players from each team.
All are welcome to celebrate the State Champion Oakland High Wildcats and Oakland Tech Bulldogs anywhere along the parade route and at the rally at City Hall.
OUSD thanks all the supporters who have helped put together this celebration. They include the Oakland Public Education Fund, the City of Oakland, the Oakland Police Department, the Oakland Athletic League, KDOL TV, Oakland High School, Oakland Technical High School, and others.
After this day of celebration, there is at least one more remarkable honor for the teams. On Monday, April 22, they will take a bus together to Sacramento where they will be recognized on the floors of the California State Senate and Assembly. More details for that event will follow.