Sheng Thao (D4) and Councilmember Treva Reid (D7) denounced the illegal sideshows taking place across Oakland
Oakland, California – On Monday, Council President Pro Tempore Sheng Thao (D4) and Councilmember Treva Reid (D7) denounced the illegal sideshows taking place across Oakland.
“The rise in sideshow activity we’re seeing is dangerous for Oakland families including those individuals participating in the activity. Sideshows are now a weekly occurrence all over Oakland. The danger is more than illegal street maneuvers putting Oaklanders at risk; we’re hearing gunshots coming from these sideshows now, a new and dangerous facet, all happening in front of residential neighborhoods. The City needs to step up to put a stop to this activity. We must invest in programming for our young people, enforce our laws, and implement environmental designs that make it more difficult for dangerous sideshows to take place. We also need to monitor social media and other sources to anticipate sideshows and prevent them from happening in the first place.”
Sideshow activity has increased in the last six months, even as nonviolent crime in parts of Oakland has dropped. Council President Pro Tempore Thao has heard from numerous constituents, as well as from her own residence, gunfire accompanying the recent sideshows. Videos posted to YouTube claiming to represent the recent sideshows shows individuals firing guns into the air, sometimes as a way to disperse a crowd.
President Pro Tempore Thao also called on the Mayor and her colleagues on the City Council to allocate more resources toward sideshow prevention and enforcement.
“The City needs to respond to this immediately. Sideshows put our entire community at risk. They block major intersections and therefore vital corridors for emergency responders. The gunfire puts our entire community at risk. And the sideshows are dangerous for those involved, not to mention the risk to our transportation infrastructure. The City must make preventing and enforcing illegal sideshow activity a priority.”
Councilmember Treva Reid states, “The cry from our community is clear from East Oakland and throughout the City, we need to restore funding for the Oakland Police Department’s Sideshow Enforcement Unit to ensure public safety and peace for all of our residents. As the Council is currently deliberating this fiscal year’s budget, I ask my Council colleagues and the Administration to join us and make this restoration a top budget priority.”
In December, the City Administrator reduced the budget of the Police Department’s Sideshow Enforcement unit, even as sideshows were on the rise. This action was communicated to the City Council only after it was taken.
With the recent passage of the American Rescue Plan Act in Congress, the City of Oakland expects to receive over $100 million. President Pro Tempore Thao is urging the Mayor and the City Council to allocate some of that funding to restore OPD’s Sideshow Enforcement capacity. Restoring OPD’s Sideshow Enforcement capacity will allow the City to monitor social media and other sources to anticipate and prevent sideshows from occuring by blocking freeway exits and intersections where sideshow activity is planned.
“It is unacceptable for the City to allow anyone to take over an intersection and fire a gun in the air. It puts everyone at risk, and it tells the community that anything goes in Oakland. We need a swift response to sideshows to keep Oaklanders safe, and reset the thinking around what’s okay to do in Oakland.” said Councilmemebr Thao.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Amy Trask Interview – Oakland Now Las Vegas Raiders Live On Zennie62 YouTube September 16, 2021
- Amy Trask, Former Raiders CEO, CBS Sports Analyst, Interview On Zennie62 Live September 16, 2021
- The Oakland Roots Defeat Tacoma Defiance 3-1 September 16, 2021
- Oakland Schools News: OUSD Celebrates Latino Heritage Month September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Ice Cube & Too Short At Allegiant Stadium Halftime Show For MNF Ravens At Raiders September 16, 2021
- Here’s How to Increase Your EIDL Funding September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito Case: Family of Missing YouTuber Claims Fiancé Is ‘Refusing’ to Help Find Her September 16, 2021
- Yom Kippur 2021 – Jordan Matthew Ward Vlog September 16, 2021
- New York Jews Prepare For Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- The Holiest Day in Israel – Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- Pathways to Entrepreneurship: A Fireside Chat with Jennifer Lopez and SBA Administrator Isabel Guzman September 16, 2021
- National Small Week Virtual Summit: Daymond John Of Shark Tank On ABC September 16, 2021
- National Small Business Week: Tarik Brooks of Combs Enterprises September 16, 2021
- SBA National Small Business Week: Mayors Supporting Latino-Owned Small Businesses September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito And Brian Laundrie Last Video – VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey September 16, 2021
- Dr. Sian Proctor First Black Woman to Pilot A Space Mission – SpaceX Flight With All-Amateur Crew September 16, 2021
- SpaceX launch lights up night sky in Florida & Colorado September 16, 2021
- SpaceX Makes History Launching All-Civilian Crew Into Orbit September 16, 2021
- Chris Peeples AC Transit Board Member Oakland Gives Update At Awaken Cafe, Downtown Apr 5, 2016 September 16, 2021
- Cafe 817 Hosts Susan Mernitt,’s Oakland Bloggers Meetup 20th Anniversary Event Tuesday June 26 2013 September 16, 2021
- Modern Coffee Video From Tribune Tower Location In Oakland, 2017 September 16, 2021
- Best Cafes in Downtown Oakland for Digital Nomads By Nnenna Umelloh on YouTube September 16, 2021
- Gallegos Mexican Restaurant West Side Berkeley In YouTube Shorts Vlog September 16, 2021
- Oakland Police New “OPD Is Hiring” Video Latest Effort To Draw New Cops September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Derek Carr Become Edgier This Year ? By Joseph Armendariz September 16, 2021