Oakland City Councilmembers Rebecca Kaplan (At-Large), Nikki Bas (District Two), Noll Gallo (District Five), And Sheng Thao (District Four) Funding Resolution For OUSD Programs to be introduced at Oakland City Council April 16th, 2019.
Oakland, CA – On March 4th, 2019, the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) made $21.75 million in budgetary cuts to meet state monitoring requirements around fiscal solvency. The budget cuts deeply impacted the District’s nationally recognized Restorative Justice program, the foster youth case management program, and also included a re-allocation of library funds.
These programs are paramount for the emotional and educational well-being of Oakland students, and for that reason, Council President Kaplan has introduced, along with her colleagues Councilmembers Bas, Gallo, and Thao, one-time funding for the restorative justice program, foster youth case managers, and libraries at OUSD. The City of Oakland has experienced higher than usual real estate transfer tax revenue, and the councilmembers are seeking to direct some of that revenue towards this end.
Said Council President Kaplan: “There are immediate critical needs in our schools for the restorative justice program and for qualified foster youth case managers that build relationships with the students to help them succeed. It is important the Council assure these hard-working people do not have to worry about being laid off, and to assure our students have consistency in staff.” In terms of foster youth, one study points out that, “by 3rd grade, 80% of foster children have had to repeat a grade in school.” Ensuring that case managers continue for foster youth supports one of our most vulnerable academic subgroups.
The restorative justice program moves children toward healthy and healing ways of dealing with violence and trauma instead of punitive measures such as suspension and expulsion and studies show that it disrupts to school to prison pipeline. OUSD parent Bobbi Lopez and Kaplan staffer agrees, saying “In kindergarten, my son was having trouble with a group of boys, and our Restorative Justice coordinator/coach immediately formed a boy’s socio-emotional group, that included all the kids, and my son became joyful about coming to school and other children began received much needed counseling.”
School Board member Shanti Gonzales said of this Resolution, “OUSD values its community schools model because supporting students is no longer just about their reading and arithmetic, but about their emotional and social well-being, and this money will help us overcome this difficult moment.”
This item is on the Tuesday, April 16th City Council meeting, which will be starting at 5:00PM. Agenda here.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Lights Go Out At Hawks State Farm Arena – Replay Of 2013 Super Bowl
- Hawks Trey Young 35-Foot 3-Pointer Vs 76ers Keeps Steph Curry Comparisons Alive
- Raiders Sign Former Chiefs Players By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines To Deploy Nurses Abroad By- Eric Pangilinan
- Who Is Caleb Scott ?Raiders Singed
- If Manny Pacquaio Beats Errol Spence Where Would Manny Rank
- AASEG And WNBA Press Conference Oakland At Everett And Jones BBQ By Vasu Vaddiparty
- WNBA Press Conference Oakland – By Vasu Vaddiparty
- Two SF Bay Area Women, VP Kamela Harris, Oakland Rep Barbara Lee, At Juneteenth Holiday Bill Signing
- For Beautiful Legs Build Strength And Balance Through Yoga
- Oakland Police Video Features Sgt Doria Neff Of The Mental Health Unit In Video Interview
- Governor Newsom visits small businesses in Oakland
- 3106 Magnolia St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- 2909 E 22nd St Oakland, CA 94601
- 5940-5942 Racine St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- ALLBLACK describes West Oakland & East Oakland politics “Its two different worlds” (Part 1)
- Juvenile Crime – Oakland’s Juvenile Squad | Free Documentary
- Bike Oakland & San Leandro: Goldenrod Trail at Lake Chabot
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting June 17, 2021
- AASEG Announces Press Conference And Juneteenth Celebration Of WNBA Oakland Team Proposal