ONN – Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao, With Gallo, Kalb, Community Leaders, Write Right To Return To Work Law For Special Oakland City Council Commitee Meeting June 29th 2020.
OAKLAND, CA – In partnership with Councilmember Dan Kalb, Councilmember Noel Gallo, and labor and community leaders, Oakland City Councilmember Sheng Thao is proud to announce the RIGHT TO RETURN Ordinance, which establishes a just and fair process for hotels, stadiums, airport hospitality services, and restaurants to guarantee a right to return for employees laid off due to the COVID-19 crisis.
This measure would ensure around 15,000 food, airport, stadium, restaurant, and hotel workers can return to their line of work as soon as their former roles are made available. With service work being the third largest job creator in the City of Oakland this will have a huge impact over the local economy.
“COVID-19 has further exposed the deep flaws in our economic system.” Stated Councilmember Sheng Thao, “although unemployment is at an all-time high there are no reassurances that laid off workers can return to their previous roles once they open up. This Ordinance will help ensure around 15,000 Oakland employees have that right.”
Service workers are overwhelmingly people of color who are oftentimes paid well below the median income. As the city continues to expand worker protections per the direction of Measure Z and Councilmember Thao’s emergency paid sick leave ordinance, it is imperative we prepare for an eventual post COVID-19 recovery.
“People who have been laid off due to the necessary COVID restrictions should be the first ones re-hired as our economy begins to open up,” said Councilmember Dan Kalb, one of the co-authors of the Ordinance. “It’s common sense that those who’ve been struggling with reduced or no hours of employment should be first in line for the jobs they already had just a few months ago.”
“This is about equity, about standing up to some of our most underappreciated and important workers in Oakland,” explained Councilmember Noel Gallo, another one of the measures co-authors, “as corporations and banks are handed blank checks from the federal government we must do what we can to improve the lives of the most vulnerable during this crisis. It begins with our workers, our small businesses, and our black and brown communities.”
This measure will be heard at a Special Community & Economic Development Committee at 1:00pm on June 29th.
Vlog based on press release sent from Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao to Zennie62Media.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol
- The Clifton Street Regulars Jazz Band Playing Today, Sunday, Oakland Rockridge
- Oakland Councilmember Nikki Fortunato Bas’ Heartfelt Newsletter To The Black Community
- Cryptocurrency Market Crash Based On Questionable U.S. Treasury Crackdown Rumor
- Redefine Quartet from McAlester, OK live at Oakland Full Gospel Holiness Church in Oakland, OK
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 4/18/21
- Shooting at the Gallery Art Bar in Oakland, Ca
- Oakland Police Possibly To Arrest Me For Protest – By Derrick Soo
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks