OAKLAND, CA – Rebecca Kaplan, Oakland Councilmember At-Large, is spearheading a Resolution to help improve safety for our young people, by allocating more funding for school crossing guards, co-sponsored by Councilmembers Gallo and Campbell Washington. The resolution will first be heard at the Public Works Committee of April 10, 2018 in City Hall’s Hearing Room 1.
Kaplan is asking that $320,000 from Measure BB (transportation funding), which Alameda County voters approved on November 4, 2014, be allocated to add crossing guards at 16 additional schools in Oakland; where each Councilmember will be allowed to select two schools each to add crossing guards. Kaplan, who also serves on the Alameda County Transportation Commission, co-authored Measure BB, which provides funding for transportation improvements.
Kaplan stated: “To encourage our young people to attend and succeed in school, and to make it safer to walk or bike to school, we need to provide crossing guards to help protect our students. The voters of our community overwhelmingly approved Measure BB, and these funds should be used in a timely way to benefit our community. This proposal is an important and cost-effective way to improve the safety of our youth and reduce traffic congestion around our schools. I encourage my colleagues to vote yes.”
For the resolution, click here.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders “I Can Breathe” Tweet: No One Black Made That Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict Entry
- President Biden and Vice President Harris Address the Nation on the Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict
- Oakland Tech’s Ahmed Muhammad School’s 1st Black Male Valedictorian On Day Of Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Livestream Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- WATCH LIVE: Jury in Derek Chauvin trial expected to return a verdict
- Oakland School News: OUSD Unveil’s New Green Schoolyard In Celebration Of Earth Day
- A Shooting Has Taken Place At A Stop & Shop In West Hempstead, NY, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Look At Oakland Lake Merritt Instagram Videos Shows Fun Gathering – Are Complaints Just Racism?
- Oakland Lake Merritt Vendors Move From Lakeshore To Grand Avenue, But Racist Take Remains
- Memories of Roy Steele, Oakland A’s Announcer
- Oakland Police Chief Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train Southbound at The Oakland Coliseum Amtrak Station 4KHD
- More Oakland Unified Elementary Students Return to School
- The Sounds Of Oakland: The OPD Engagement Of The 2021 Protest Season
- 11370 Golf Links Road, Oakland, CA | Michael and Nicole Wilhelm, Compass
- Oakland Vigil & Protest for Daunte Wright & Adam Toledo 4/16/2021