Oakland – Today, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) announced a precautionary closure of McClymonds High School after tests revealed that a cancer-causing chemical called trichloroethylene (TCE) was found in the onsite groundwater. OUSD Board Director Jumoke Hinton Hodge contacted me to let me know that teachers and students were notified of the temporary closure on Wednesday night.
In response to this information, I immediately notified Oakland Fire Chief Darin White, Assemblymember Rob Bonta and County Supervisor Keith Carson to ensure coordination so that we can provide accurate information to the surrounding community that may also be impacted by the groundwater contamination. I also reached out to West Oakland faith leaders who have volunteered to make their churches available for temporary classrooms should OUSD determine that the space is needed to resume classes next week.
West Oakland has long been victim to environmental racism that concentrated toxic industries in this historic Black community. I will remain vigilant in monitoring the State and County response to ensure that the McClymonds community and surrounding neighborhoods are protected. I am calling for the State of California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) to conduct additional testing in the surrounding neighborhoods and to immediately implement a plan of mitigation and remediation.
According to OUSD, the district had removed a fuel tank that was previously used to heat the school’s swimming pool. When the District completed additional testing of the soil and groundwater to determine there had been no petroleum seepage, inspectors found traces of TCE at levels that indicate a need for further tests to determine if the compound has also contaminated the air. The Alameda County Environmental Health Department (ACEHD) is conducting additional tests at the school property to determine what levels of the TCE are present and if the contaminant is airborne and constitutes a risk to the students. Until the ACEHD determines the level of risk to students and educators has been established, the Oakland Unified School District closed the high school until further notice. Testing will continue through the weekend.
ACEHD noted that the contamination did not originate at McClymonds. It appears that the source is a former industrial site a few blocks from the school which could mean that nearby homes and businesses may be affected. We will update our constituents as we learn more.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kev Choice Tribute to Michael Morgan October 20, 2021
- Best of Week 7 of the 2021 College Football Season – Part 1 ᴴᴰ October 20, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 4 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021