Rebecca Kaplan, Oakland At-Large Councilmember, is asking for the Oakland City Council to adopt new, effective homeless solutions
We recently received the report from the City Auditor detailing the failures of the Oakland Administration’s current primary strategies around homelessness. We recognize that we must implement real improvements, including rapidly expanding deeply affordable housing, providing permitted spaces for RVs, with sanitation and other services, and protecting public health.
Pushing people from one underpass to the next, with no plan of where they should go, has been expensive and has not succeeded. At the Tuesday, May 4, 2021, City Council meeting, we will have a report on identifying sites in each Council District for homeless interventions. Join us in urging the rapid deployment of public lands and other resources (including those from County and State), to provide tangible and immediate improvements. This includes the requirement that homeless services be provided in every Council District using strategies, including modular housing, co-governed encampments, managed RV sites, and use of vacant hotel rooms.
It is essential that we implement significant solutions that provide real housing alternatives and health and sanitation. Our plan will do just that and also reduce human suffering and wasteful costs. Let us meaningfully address the housing and homelessness crises in our City and get people into affordable, safe, and clean housing. Our item will be at the Tuesday, May 4th, meeting at 1:30pm.
Oakland City Auditor’s Homeless Services Performance Audit & Previous Council Directives
At the April 26, 2021, Oakland Life Enrichment Committee (“LEC”), our City Auditor Ruby presented her Homeless Services Performance Audit. The Oakland City Auditor found that in Fiscal Years 2018-19 and 2019-20, Oakland incurred roughly $12.6 million in costs associated with encampment activities. Most of these costs were unbudgeted and resulted in the redirecting of staff and resources to the encampment activities from other city services, and did not involve solving the homelessness of the people impacted.
Over the last few years, the Oakland City Council has passed actions to address many of the challenges we face in providing deeply affordable housing, providing temporary housing, and providing clean and sanitary spaces on private and public lands. Many of these Council directives have not been implemented, or only partially implemented by the City Administration. As we work now to strengthen the efforts to remedy homelessness and respond to the issues raised in the Homeless Audit, it is important to identify examples where policy direction has been given and to help ensure it is fully implemented.
Memo Highlighting Past Council Actions to Address Homelessness: https://oakland.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=9335402&GUID=2145E85D-EA10-47ED-BA8C-32A04677CC7C
Identifying Sites for Homeless Interventions
On May 4, 2021, the full City Council will receive an informational report on the Progress Identifying Sites for Homeless Interventions. As part of the numerous homeless policies set forth by Council, we have stated that no one council district should bear the responsibility for the placement of homeless interventions. Effective strategies should be located in all parts of our City to help equitably provide for community needs.
These interventions and services may include Rapid Build Modular Housing as an option for fast deeply affordable housing, use of existing hotels, dormitories, and similar existing buildings as an immediate intervention to provide shelter and get people off of the streets (there is expected availability of State and Federal funds to support these efforts.). And, importantly, with numerous people living in RVs, vans, vehicles and more, one important way to improve community health and safety is by setting up managed RV/parking locations that would have safety, sanitation, trash removal and water and sewage systems. These could be managed ultimately on a sliding scale basis depending on income level and include having staffing and support to help ensure they are effective.
I have submitted a memo with a spreadsheet (Attachment A) that contains a list of City Owned Properties, Coliseum City Owned Properties, and Non-City Owned Properties. I am calling on my colleagues to review these lists of Available Properties for Homeless Interventions and identify what type of intervention we would like to see go on specific parcels in our districts.
Memo with Sites for Homeless Interventions: https://oakland.legistar.com/View.ashxM=F&ID=9334519&GUID=E6154B12-4C36-4DB8-9A3E-7992DC010670
Link to the Meeting Agenda: https://oakland.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=858250&GUID=6B3327F3-1270-4AC9-9BF6-26CD23C49BBE
May 4, 2021, Council Meeting Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81137523734
Join us in urging the implementation of effective homelessness solutions by contacting the Mayor and Councilmembers!
Link to find your Councilmember’s contact information:
Mayor’s email: OfficeoftheMayor@Oaklandca.gov
Oakland Vice Mayor
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs And Richie Incognito Still Injured By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Social Media Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott | Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021