Now that California has opened up, the Oakland City Council thinks it can go back to its old pre-Pandemic ways of staging press conference events for dying form of media no one watches except a small handful of Oaklanders. In the process, they’re dumping the online-based, full-access, rooms that are accessible to anyone, and especially the disabled and the elderly. In a “make your own media” era friendlier to BIPOC voices and eyeballs, the Oakland City Council is sadly obsessed with feeding old white media. Council President Nikki Fortunado Bas can’t blame this one on Mayor Schaaf – they’re two peas in a pod, here.
Council President Bas To Discuss Outcome of Historic Budget Vote Tomorrow in Downtown Oakland
WHEN: Today, Thursday, June 24, 4:00 p.m. PST
WHERE: Breonna Taylor Mural on 15th Street at the intersection of Broadway, Telegraph Avenue and 15th Street in Downtown Oakland
Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas + District 2 Representative
Councilmember Carroll Fife, District 3 Representative
Other speakers representing Oakland labor, community-serving, and faith-based organizations
WHAT: After City Council’s Thursday, June 24th 10:30 a.m. Special Budget Meeting concludes tomorrow, Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas will discuss the outcomes of the meeting. At this meeting, Council is scheduled to discuss and vote on Bas’ updated budget amendments.
Historically, Oakland has funded four police academies over each 2-year budget cycle. Mayor Schaaf’s 2021-2023 budget proposal increased this standard allocation to six police academies. Bas’ budget redirects the extra funding from Schaaf’s two additional academies, instead, investing $17.4 million in the Department of Violence Prevention, and effectively doubling their budget (and quadrupling the City’s General Purpose Fund contribution to the department) and expanding the funding needed to effectively stand up MACRO — Oakland’s alternative civilian crisis response program in the Fire Department — through which three mobile response teams will respond to non-violent, non-criminal 911 calls for mental and behavioral health incidents in East Oakland in Year 1 and expand to six teams citywide in Year 2.
Council President Bas’ budget team is composed of Councilmembers Fife (District 3), Kalb (District 1), and Gallo (District 5).
If the final budget is not approved tomorrow June 24th, Council will have a final meeting and vote on Tuesday, June 29th at 1:30pm. Council must adopt a balanced, final 2-year spending plan by Wednesday, June 30.
View Council President Bas’ updates and community messages at @Nikki4Oakland on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Post based on press release sent to state-of-the-art Zennie62Media, Inc.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021
- Oakland Athletics Unveil 2022 Season Ticket Plans and Pricing by Richard Haick September 22, 2021
- Boxing Canelo Alvarez And Caleb Plant Heated Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- I was hit COVID Delta in East Oakland Homeless Encampment by Derrick Soo September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr With A New Haircut Ready To Play In Week Three By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian & Megan Fox Seductively Pose In Lingerie September 22, 2021
- Coach Gruden, Derek Carr, K.J. Wright and Daniel Carlson Presser – 9.22.21 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 22, 2021
- Zennie62Media Credentialed For CES 2022 Las Vegas And For 12th Year In A Row September 22, 2021
- Daniel Craig Said James Bond Should Not Be A Woman – Here’s Why He’s Right September 22, 2021
- Thomas Espinosa – Oakland Public Ethics Commission Fines Him $309,600 – Here’s Why September 22, 2021
- Marin Supervisor Damon Connolly Stands Up for Immigrant Justice September 22, 2021
- YouTube Studio Was Down Today, Is Back Up Now – What Happened To Cause It? September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr Made NFL History In The First Two Games By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- WATCH LIVE: Jen Psaki holds White House Briefing September 22, 2021
- Willie Garson Recalls When He Met Nathen Garson, His Adopted Son – People TV Interview September 22, 2021
- Raider Nation Rob Rivera Black Hole Rob Rivera Dies Of COVID-19 Complications September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Black Hole Co Founder Rob Rivera Passes Away Due To Variant By Joseph Armendariz September 22, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/22/2021 September 22, 2021
- Victim of East Oakland homicide killed while feeding the homeless September 22, 2021
- Norm Macdonald’s Moth Joke September 22, 2021
- iPhone 13 Unboxing – Are they ACTUALLY Good!? September 22, 2021
- IPHONE 13 SERIES PINK MODEL SOLD OUT IN LESS THAN 3 MINUTES September 22, 2021
- iPhone 13 Pro Max Review: Pros and Cons September 22, 2021
- The New Microsoft Surface Duo 2 and Laptop Studio! September 22, 2021
- NEW Microsoft Surface Devices – Duo 2 and Laptop Studio! September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Tua Tagovailoa Out Against The Raiders with Cracked Ribs By Joseph Armendariz September 22, 2021
- Nate Hobbs Mic’d Up vs. Steelers: ‘He Talking Crazy!’ | Week 2 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 22, 2021
- President Biden Announces Members of President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology September 22, 2021
- Woman Says She Picked up Brian Laundrie Homicide Victim Gabby Petito’s Fiance Hitchhiking September 22, 2021
- Oakland Gang Wars – Convicted Felons + No Where To Go = High Crime Rate September 22, 2021
- Gabby Petito Search for Brian Laundrie – Missing Daniel Robinson September 22, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Search for Brian Laundrie continues at Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County September 22, 2021
- Who is Daniel Robinson? Gabby Petito case brings social media spotlight on other missing persons September 22, 2021