ONN – Oakland Coliseum JPA To Reform RingCentral Naming Rights Deal At January 2020 Meeting
Oakland (from a distance) – The RingCentral Naming Rights Deal deal struck by now-former Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority (Coliseum JPA) Executive Director Scott McKibben is being restructured and reformed as this is written. The final deal will be presented to the Coliseum JPA Board of Directors at its January 17th, 2020 meeting (this Friday).
The original RingCentral Naming Rights Deal was done by Scott McKibben with the approval of the Coliseum JPA Board of Directors. However, the same Coliseum JPA Board of Directors said it did not know about McKibben’s request for a $50,000 payment (on a total $4 million deal); McKibben has said he did not know such a request was a violation of what’s called Section 1090 of the California Government Code – a code that prohibits conflict of interest actions.
In Scott’s defense, the fact that the Coliseum JPA Board of Directors approved of Scott as the person doing the deal, rather than a marketing company, automatically placed him in a conflict of interest position without him knowing it. Because of this, McKibben’s defense has been, to a large degree “entrapment by estoppel“.
The definition of “entrapment by estoppel” is “affirmative defense known as entrapment by estoppel. Such a defense is available when a government official has actively misled a defendant into a reasonable belief that his or her charged conduct is legal.” In Scott McKibben’s case, the Coliseum JPA Board officially approved Scott McKibben to land the RingCentral Deal, and did so in way that effectively matched Scott’s true title: consultant. For his part, McKibben had no idea that his actions at any point were not legal – that’s what he told me months ago.
Note from Oakland News Now Technical: this video-blog post shows the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- WATCH LIVE: Jury in Derek Chauvin trial expected to return a verdict
- Oakland School News: OUSD Unveil’s New Green Schoolyard In Celebration Of Earth Day
- A Shooting Has Taken Place At A Stop & Shop In West Hempstead, NY, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Look At Oakland Lake Merritt Instagram Videos Shows Fun Gathering – Are Complaints Just Racism?
- Oakland Lake Merritt Vendors Move From Lakeshore To Grand Avenue, But Racist Take Remains
- Memories of Roy Steele, Oakland A’s Announcer
- Oakland Police Chief Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train Southbound at The Oakland Coliseum Amtrak Station 4KHD
- More Oakland Unified Elementary Students Return to School
- The Sounds Of Oakland: The OPD Engagement Of The 2021 Protest Season
- 11370 Golf Links Road, Oakland, CA | Michael and Nicole Wilhelm, Compass
- Oakland Vigil & Protest for Daunte Wright & Adam Toledo 4/16/2021
- Berkeley Councilmember Ben Bartlett Says FAA Threatens City’s Skies
- President Biden, First Lady, Vice President Harris Statements On Walter Mondale’s Passing
- Oakland A’s Road Warrior Ways Produce 8-Game Win Streak, 9-7 Record
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle