The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority plans to hold a “special meeting” on the proposed extension of the Oakland Raiders lease at the stadium. As to when that would happen, the answer this blogger received is “soon”, and that was from Scott McKibben, the Coliseum JPA Executive Director.
That news came after this blogger reported information from a source on the Coliseum JPA Board, who claimed that the meeting was cancelled that morning of Friday, June 15th. The result was that the much-talked about proposed Raiders Lease was not reviewed by the Coliseum JPA Board, because there was no quorum.
As to what a quorum is, the definition is “the minimum number of members of an assembly or society that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of that meeting valid,” according to Dictionary.com. In the case of the Coliseum JPA, the quorum is arrived it when a simple majority of board members is arrived at. From my source the news appeared to be that a simple majority of members was not in the room.
Now, Coliseum JPA Executive Director said to this blogger “We did not hold the meeting and then cancel, we knew a day earlier (Thursday) that we wouldn’t have a quorum and cancelled it that afternoon. No quorum so we cancelled and will call a special meeting very soon to take up the Raider lease.”
What’s not known to this blogger, and yet has been asked repeatedly, is why there was no quorum. But the news is, as McKibben explained, there’s going to be a special meeting on the Oakland Raiders Lease Extension at the Coliseum. The date of the special Coliseum JPA meeting is to be determined.
Once that Coliseum JPA meeting is held, the proposed Raiders lease extension will be evaluated, and then any changes desired would be communicated to the team. Then, if the team says “yes”, it goes back to the JPA for final vote. Right now, the version of the proposed lease Raiders extension has the team playing in Oakland through 2019, with an option for another extension for 2020, and in case the Las Vegas Stadium is not ready to be used by the Raiders.
What’s interesting is that the Raiders lease extension has not come to Oakland City Council. The implication to this point is that the Coliseum JPA alone can approve or reject the lease extenstion. But a memo dated December 27th, 2013, and from Oakland City Attorney Barbara Parker to the Oakland City Council, tells a different story.
The Memo called for “Councilmembers, the Mayor and/ or City officials who represent the City on any board, agency, authority, joint powers authority, commission, etc., shall receive prior authorization from a majority of the City Council before they cast a vote on behalf of the City on any matter of particular controversy or that could have a significant economic or policy impact on the City.”
That means the Oakland City Council has to hold a meeting and give the Oakland Coliseum JPA the power to make the decision on the Raiders lease without the involvement of the Oakland City Council.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021