OAKLAND CITY COUNCIL PRESIDENT REBECCA KAPLAN, BAY AREA COMMUNITY BENEFIT ORGANIZATION, AND THE EAST OAKLAND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION PRESENT A VISION FOR THE FUTURE OF THE OAKLAND COLISEUM AREA
OAKLAND, CA – In recent months, there have been many important and valid concerns expressed regarding the future of the Coliseum Area which may include the Oakland A’s. We hear what people do not want to see happen at the Coliseum.
This includes wanting to avoid taxpayer funded giveaways and wanting to avoid loss of jobs, the location being abandoned and blighted, and finally the further erosion of our African American population, most of which has called East Oakland their home for decades.
As we look toward the future and work on these concerns, we thought it would be valuable to talk about what would be good to see happen at this site.
This large, well-located expanse of public land can and should be used to provide development that benefits the community in multiple ways. The Coliseum site, co-owned by the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda, provides a unique opportunity with about 200 acres that are on BART, have freeway access, easy airport connection, Amtrak, and great central location in the growing Bay Area. We can, and should, work toward a future for the site which provides local benefits, including housing at all income levels, jobs, recreation and health, including for our youth, tax revenue, and revitalization.
The future of this great site should ideally include:
• Significant amount of new housing, at all income levels, including deed-restricted affordable housing, workforce housing, and ADA accessible housing.
• Large scale hotel and convention/conference facilities.
• Maintain and use Arena, including by seeking to bring a WNBA team and other uses. Arena can also be used in partnership with hotel/conference facilities to host large-scale events.
• Soccer options. Explore options to provide outdoor soccer fields. Be able to accommodate significant soccer tournaments and provide much-needed locations for our local youth teams etc., to practice and play. Outdoor soccer fields to be designed to be able to accommodate other uses when not in use for soccer.
• Retail, restaurants, bars, and entertainment. Snack stands, inside and outdoors.
• Improved and widened pedestrian access-way from BART, to make the welcoming experience pleasant and easy to cross, without requiring people to go downstairs and back up, no chain link, well-lit and attractive, and with access to shops and food and more.
• Quality jobs for the local community – Oakland Residents – including opportunities in construction, and incorporating existing workforce from Coliseum/Arena such as concessions, security, etc. Local hiring, equity, and quality standards policies for jobs.
• Local/small business involvement and opportunity, opportunity for local/small businesses to participate in the new development at the site.
• Protections from displacement for existing surrounding local residents and local businesses.
• Option for inclusion of City of Oakland and Alameda County public needs such as a police administration building.
• Secure bike parking/valet.
• Utilizes existing approved Plan/EIR, so development can move forward more easily and quickly.
• And, for the sake of public trust, to avoid problems with the project, and to ensure a fair and transparent process, we should start the process of issuing notification of the availability of the land for opportunities.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malik As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021
- Xanadu, Primus, A Tribute to Kings, Berkeley, CA., October 15, 2021 October 16, 2021
- Primus – “Jilly’s On Smack” – Live 10-15-2021 – The Greek Theatre – Berkeley, CA October 16, 2021
- Primus – Shake Hands with Beef – 2021-10-15 Berkeley, CA October 16, 2021
- Garbage Pickup Gone Wrong: How the City of Berkeley is “cleaning” curbside communities October 16, 2021
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 10/17/21 October 16, 2021
- 2591 Leimert Blvd Oakland, CA 94602 October 16, 2021
- Before & After Staging of 2840 Carmel St Oakland│ Realtor Sheila Zarekari │ Just Local Homes October 16, 2021
- Our First Ever Offseason! | Oakland Roots Expansion NBA 2k22 | #2 October 16, 2021
- HSN | Shopping with Colleen – Let’s Holiday 10.16.2021 – 01 PM October 16, 2021
- All of Our Goals Are Ahead of Us | Raiders vs. Broncos | Week 6 | Trailer | NFL October 16, 2021
- Friday Ratings: Baseball Playoffs Dominate The Demo Wars, But ‘Blue Bloods” Still The Viewership Kin October 16, 2021