Oakland City Council Oakland District Three Councilmember Carroll Fife Posted This On March 19th, 2021
Dear movement family,
I often find myself up late and night and early in the morning with the weight of countless burdens on my heart and mind. As I fight for the things poor people deserve: housing, healthcare, liberatory and nurturing education, life supporting jobs, clean air to breath and more, I am reminded daily that none of us should be in the crosshairs for working to make the world liveable for all. The selfishness of the wealthy (and those aspiring to be wealthy) who have stolen and hoarded resources, actively create pain and impossible conditions for those living on the margins.
I am fully aware that we are on the right side of the transformative times in which we are currently living, but it does not lighten the load. Hearing the whisper campaigns, watching the direct and indirect attempts to discredit and disrupt our movement objectives reminds me of history lessons learned from activists and radical changemakers. In Oakland, and around the world, people are standing up for their lives and their humanity. From Ethiopia to Myanmar, there is a resounding cry from the ground demanding recognition as human beings whose lives have value.
So why is this so hard? It’s because instruction and education on critical thinking, resistance movements or just about any topic that would create an informed populace with a desire for equity and real freedom, is rare. Miseducation and misinformation is by design. An informed populace poses a threat to the powerful, to the systems of white supremacy and capitalism that funnel our society’s wealth into the hands of the very few.
So if a few people fall for the lies that are circulating, I don’t blame them. Not all of us have access to knowledge about how the State acts to repress every expression of the struggle for collective liberation. Instead I’ll continue to fight the folks telling the lies and controlling the narrative, and educating Oaklanders about the history of how social movements like ours have been targeted by federal law enforcement and undermined by neoliberal politicians and the cronies they pay.
Stay encouraged friends. We are many and we will stay the course. We have nothing to lose but our chains.
Yours in solidarity,
As one who lives in Councilmember Fife’s District Three, it would be great if she would focus on the task at hand with passing Oakland City Council initiatives, ask for help, and then keep her head down and grind. She’s the power now – no excuses.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5
- President Joe Biden Statement On The Mass Shooting In Indianapolis, Indiana
- TUTORIAL: Register for Oakland’s Online Permit Portal!