Oakland – The Oakland City Council voted unanimously to send a new Oakland business tax structure law into motion by placing a measure on the November 2022 ballot.
Oakland’s business tax structure has not seen a
major overhaul in almost forty years. The Oakland City Council was united in its desire to see a progressive, equitable business tax structure which cuts taxes to small businesses while holding large corporations accountable for their fair share. Before its recess, the City Council will also vote to establish a Blue Ribbon Commission responsible for collaborating with stakeholders, examining Oakland’s economic landscape, and ultimately recommending updated rates for the Council to consider. Councilmember Sheng Thao was proud to join Councilmember Dan Kalb and lead author Councilmember Nikki Fortunato Bas in introducing this groundbreaking progressive measure.
“The City of Oakland cannot afford to carry on with an outdated, regressive business tax structure.” stated Councilmember Thao,“Today, the Council has taken a bold step toward making Oakland a welcoming place for small businesses, while inviting our larger corporations to make a deeper investment from which all Oaklanders will benefit. Once implemented, this new progressive tax structure will help guide Oakland through this economic crisis and nurture the small business growth that will define the City.”
Councilmembers Bas, Thao, and Kalb partnered with community leaders,
small business owners, and public sector unions including city workers and the Oakland Firefighters on developing this legislation. The measure could raise tens of millions of dollars in additional revenue for Oakland, potentially funding much needed essential city services.
“As the District 4 Councilmember I know that wildfire prevention, street safety and maintenance, public safety, park maintenance, small business support, and so many other public services have room to improve,” said Councilmember Sheng Thao, “I want to ensure that we can not only maintain these services but also expand them as we recover from this economic downturn. Oakland is a bright, vibrant, and culturally rich city that deserves city services that celebrate and support these traits.”
The Lift Up Oakland Coalition Issues A Statement
The Lift Up Oakland Coalition is made up of the Alameda Labor Council; ACCE Action; SEIU Local 1021; Oakland Rising; IFPTE Local 21; EBASE; and IAFF Local 55. It issued this statement via press release to Zennie62Media:
There is broad consensus that we must modernize Oakland’s Business Tax. By moving this measure forward with a Blue Ribbon Task Force to study and recommend the updated tax structure and rates, we are looking forward to a policy that is thoughtful and meets the implementation deadline of 2023.
We want to thank the author Councilmember Nikki Fortunato Bas and co-sponsors Councilmembers Sheng Thao, Dan Kalb and Council President Rebecca Kaplan their work has persuaded a majority of the council to move forward and find the best business tax structure for Oakland.
There is no question about the need to modernize the business tax; any concerns expressed have been about process. The Blue Ribbon Task Force and the eighteen months it has to work on the issues answers any questions put to rest these concerns. Long after the current crisis and hopefully the recovery.
We will not give up on this issue and will push it to completion. It is vital to the future of our city and our communities.
Legislation to establish the creation of the Blue Ribbon Task Force will be heard at next week’s July 21st Council meeting.
Stay tuned, Post based on press releases sent to Zennie62Media.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland skate park fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021
- Broncos season slipping from grasp after Raiders loss October 18, 2021
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine & My Career | Funky Fridays w/ Cam Newton October 18, 2021
- U.S. Industrial Production And Capacity Utilization Report For October 18th 2021 From The Federal Reserve October 18, 2021