ONN – Oakland City Council Vote For MACRO Police Free Mental Health Program Gets Community Leaders Props – vlog by Zennie62 YouTube
Watch the vlog Oakland City Council Vote For MACRO Police Free Mental Health Program Gets Community Leaders Props
I received this press release moments ago from The Workers Agency:
Oakland, California—Today members of the Oakland City Council voted unanimously to introduce a model for mental health emergency support to Oaklanders (known as MACRO – Mobile Assistance Community Responders of Oakland) that does not lead with law enforcement. We are a coalition of Oakland progressive community organizations and labor groups who advocated for the immediate creation of MACRO and we welcome the decision by City Council members to move forward with the creation of MACRO within the Fire Department and supported by a community advisory board. We would like to thank Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan for leading on this initiative, and to all the members of the City Council for recognizing the urgent need to bring police free emergency mental health services to the City of Oakland.
The creation of MACRO as a city program is a major step in beginning to reduce the risk of incarceration, violence, or death for a person in crisis. A large portion of those shot by police are in the middle of a mental health crisis—as much as a quarter of all police shootings in 2019. In Oakland, Yonas Algene, Richard Perkins, Marcellus Toney and Joshua Pawlik were all killed by the Oakland Police Department while experiencing a mental health crisis. The only way to prevent further killings is if the City stops spending resources on answering every service call with an officer carrying a badge and a gun.
The way MACRO is implemented matters. We need accountability with this program, and going through the Fire Department will ensure we have that.
“I’d like to thank Council Members Nikki Fortunato Bas and Dan Kalb. I am excited about legislation that represents true partnership between grassroots organizers and elected city council members. On days like this we must remember Miles Hall, Angelo Quinto, Joshua Pawlik, and so many more who were murdered in the middle of a mental health crisis. This is not an Oakland problem, it’s a national problem. The conversation started six years ago with APTP and culminated in the creation of the Defund Police Coalition. It has taken way too long to get here. We can do this in 4-6 months, through the Fire Department. Labor agreed to hire temporary workers, trained by on the ground experts,” said Cat Brooks, co-founder of the Anti Police Terror-Project and the Executive Director of the Justice Teams Network.
“Establishing the MACRO program is an important step forward for Oakland. Bringing improved responses to Oaklanders experiencing mental health emergencies is something we can all be proud of. Working with the community to build this program in-house, with good union jobs, shows the City of Oakland is committed to community safety and providing it in a transparent, equitable way. An in-house MACRO program staffed by City workers will help our community thrive,” said Yeon Park, Vice President East Bay, SEIU 1021.
So far the City administration and the Mayor have slow-walked the process of setting up this program. There is no need to stall as both workers via the Mental Health First program and the city and county’s mental health workers are available to help train potential MACRO staff immediately.
The creation of MACRO is literally a matter of life and death. There is widespread momentum and support for this work from the people of Oakland.
This stream is created with #PRISMLiveStudio.
Note from Zennie62Media’s Zennie62 YouTube and Oakland News Now Today Blog SF Bay Area: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick
- US Calls For Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine | TODAY
- Paul Flores, Rubin Flores: Kristin Smart Case Suspects Arrested, Sheriffs To Announce Updates
- Bishop O’Dowd at San Leandro Football 4.1.21 | Jesse Madden vs Demetrius Freeney
- Justin Fields Is Smartest QB In 2021 NFL Draft With Insane Aptitude Test Score
- Oakland Jobs: Waste Management Hiring Oakland California Residents At WM.com
- City Of Oakland Launches New Poet Laureate Program
- Oakland Fire Department Announced Oakland City Council Approved Return Of Full Service April 13th
- Exploring The Bay Area: Lake Chabot Park, Oakland, California Vlog
- Turf Toy On YouTube Brings 3-Wheel Slingshot SL To Oakland California
- Gina Champion-Cain San Diego Businesswoman Gets 15 Years In Prison For $400 Million Ponzi Scheme
- Grand Lake Theater Oakland Staff Fundraiser Short Of $35K Goal At $30,283 As Of April 13 2021
- 2/24/21 OUSD School Board Meeting – Resolution for Reparations for Black Students
- Oakland Police Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong Press Conference On Weekend Violence 4/12/ 21
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Votes To Use $10 Million To Restore Vital Community Services
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce Good On Greens, Fish, Shrimp, And Pasta. Mark Zuckerberg, Thanks!