It Passed! Oakland City Council Unanimously Votes to Use $10 Million to Restore Vital Community Services and to Ensure a Transparent Budget Process
April 12, 2021
Today, April 12, 2021, the Oakland City Council unanimously passed the resolution introduced by Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas and I, to accept the ARPA Federal Funding, create a transparent budget process, and to allocate the $10 million from the OACCA/Warriors litigation, to provide a just and healthy recovery for the Oakland community by restoring vital community resources and programs.
Highlights of what is now to be restored and funded with the new OACCA $10 million:
Fully restoring Oakland’s Fire Department Services. I pushed back and fought against the administration’s closure of Fire Stations earlier this year. Now, the remaining stations will be restored, aiding our city’s response to fires, which is especially important during these lengthier and more severe fire seasons.
Community Safety Ambassadors in Chinatown, Eastlake, East Oakland, West Oakland, Fruitvale and other business districts.
Reducing blight and illegal dumping by restoring positions that help stop litter and trash.
Under the direction to Oakland’s Homeless Administrator, funding to house homeless in hotels and provide clean up services
Restore Operation Ceasefire.
Restore walking foot patrol officers.
Expand ShotSpotter to parts of East Oakland currently not covered.
Reopen recreation centers & closed swimming pools.
Help close the gap in funds for the Violence Prevention Funding plan, this plan includes programs for youth job training.
COVID-19 Vaccination Community Engagement: Fund grants to community-based organizations for work in Oakland underserved communities to provide information and access to COVID testing and vaccination.
Unfreeze Crime Investigation Positions: these positions include the civilian Evidence Technicians and related positions that help solve crime and improve community safety.
Traffic Safety: Improve responsiveness to needs regarding traffic calming, such as speed bumps and other streetscape improvements that can help reduce speeding, prevent accidents, and protect the public.
Our item will additionally ensure the protection of the City’s reserve funds by holding them in a separate fund that cannot be accessed without Council approval. This step will ensure the public process for budget adoption – – to take place at noticed meetings with public input and a public vote.
View full Spreadsheet (Please note that this spreadsheet was amended at the meeting to include more funding community support): http://oakland.legistar.com/gateway.aspx?M=F&ID=c5f128f1-0cdf-4058-b535-38de92234fc8.pdf
Item Memo and Resolution: http://oakland.legistar.com/gateway.aspx?m=l&id=/matter.aspx?key=32167
Oakland Vice Mayor
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Black Business Roundtable hosted by Oakland’s Own Doug Blacksher
- How The 49ers vs Raiders Preseason Games Restarted When The Silver And Black Returned To Oakland
- Rusty Hardin Says Tony Buzbee Deshaun Watson Settlement Not Happening Talk Is Ironic
- Mads Mikkelsen And Anders Jensen Blockbuster Interview With Zennie62Media’s Jessica Dwyer
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Seeks To Drown A’s Fans In Water At Coliseum
- Mads Mikkelsen Oscars: Mads Mikkelsen, Anders Jensen, Riders Of Justice Interview: Jessica Dwyer
- Oakland Schools: OUSD 2021 Classified School Employees Of The Year
- Biden Press Secretary Jen Psaki Statement On Restart of Colonial Pipeline And Continued Federal Government Efforts To Mitigate Impacts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In Relocation Talks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick
- City Of Oakland Eviction Moratorium Not Impacted By Federal Ruling
- RaceTrac Fayetteville Ga Gas Pumps Out Of Gas Except Diesel Due To Cyberattack
- 2021 NFL Schedule Revealed On NFL Network’s Schedule Release 21 Show
- NFL Gives Nine Social Justice Programs $2.5 Million
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With Bike Oakland: Bancroft And International
- Rockets Kill 2 Israelis, Airstrikes Kill 28 In Gaza | MSNBC
- Crocker Highlands Mid-Century, Oakland, CA, 94610
- Violent Israeli-Palestinian Unrest Kills At Least 33 | The 11th Hour
- MLB tells Oakland A’s to start exploring other cities
- Team Coverage: Major League Baseball Greenlights Oakland A’s To Consider Relocating