Oakland City Council to take up dockless scooter law.
The Oakland City Council Public Works Committee approved a proposed Ordinance to establish regulations and new permits for dockless scooter sharing programs, co-authored by Oakland At-Large Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan, and Oakland Councilmembers Noel Gallo (District Five) , and Lynette Gibson McElhaney (District Three), on Tuesday. This item will come to the full Council on July 24, starting at 5:30 pm at Oakland City Hall.
Rebecca Kaplan says, “The proposed Ordinance will provide responsible guidelines for scooter companies as they do business in Oakland.”
Dockless scooters are being made available by being placed in public locations, and can be a benefit to the community and help with health and mobility if done correctly. However, if done incorrectly, these scooters can have negative impacts by blocking wheelchairs and pedestrians, cluttering sidewalks, and becoming blight. (If you are wondering Who is Liable In a Dockless Scooter Accident?”, click on this link for answers by The Carlson Law Firm.)
“Our proposed requirements deal with a range of problems and potential problems that have occurred – including prohibiting threatening noises, requiring liability insurance, and where they can be deployed,” says Councilmember Kaplan.
The ordinance also requires local maintenance teams, designated locations for dockless scooters and discounted membership plan for those who are low-income.
In addition, the ordinance will require dockless scooter companies distributed equitably throughout Oakland. No less than 50% of operator scooters shall be deployed in Oakland’s Communities of Concern.
“To make sure that we can have good mobility options for everyone in our community, it is important that scooter share systems be properly regulated, provide affordable rates, local jobs and reliable local maintenance teams, and benefit the public. Depending how they are handled, scooter share systems could be a benefit or have negative impacts on our community – so I am urging Oakland to adopt responsible regulations,” says Councilmember Kaplan.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner
- Tony Buzbee Did Approach Deshaun Watson Reps For $100K Settlement Contrary To Recent Claims
- Oakland Fire Department Sends 3,000 Baby Goats Out As News To Distract From Oakland A’s Relocation
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Accused Of Fraud By Local Atlanta TV Station WSB-TV
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- Pyro’s Pastrami Jack London Square Is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2
- Rose Haze | Oakland Band | Live Performance at Balanced Breakfast’s Showcase | SxSW 2021
- 2421 67th Avenue Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- Bike Oakland & Piedmont: Around Mountain View Cemetery