OAKLAND, CA – For the past several weeks, Moms 4 Housing, a group of homeless mothers and their children have been residing in a formerly-vacant home in West Oakland. Wedgewood, a large investment corporation, with a troubling history of questionable evictions, is seeking to evict the women. The case is pending in court, and the corporation has hired controversial spokesperson Sam Singer to create a public relations response for them.
Wedgewood has now chosen to claim that they wish to work with a non-profit to use the house to benefit at-risk youth through jobs rehabbing houses, and have blamed the homeless moms for causing delay in the launch of this alleged program they claim they would be launching, if they kicked the moms out of the house. Unfortunately, the specific organization that Wedgewood named, appears to have no office or personnel anywhere in this region, no local business license, and no track record that can be found of performing this type of work.
In addition, there is no evidence that Wedgewood is serious about launching this alleged program, to employ low-income youth renovating houses, as such a program, to be real, would require staff and would obviously require more than one house to be viable. Wedgewood owns and buys hundreds of houses. Yet, thus far, they have not offered any of their other properties into the program they claim to be launching. Wedgewood has stated they would then sell the house, and send a portion of the proceeds to groups in Los Angeles, leaving no benefit to the local community.
Luckily, there is a viable, licensed, local non-profit that is located in Oakland and does actually have the capacity to respond – and they have offered to Wedgewood to buy the house from them. The Oakland Community Land Trust, which has experience acquiring, rehabbing, and otherwise handling houses – including those needing renovations – and providing them as affordable housing for lower-income residents in our community.
Council President Kaplan continues to urge Wedgewood Corporation, as she did in a letter back in December 2019, to sit down with the Oakland Community Land Trust and seek to work out a mutually beneficial situation which allows Wedgewood to get paid for their property, and end the situation of strife and negativity.
Council President Kaplan is also seeking other property owners who are willing to sell their properties to help, and work with the Oakland Community Land Trust. At a time when homelessness has increased 47% in Oakland since 2017, in part because of soaring housing prices, we need to work in partnership with multiple stakeholders to resolve this crisis.
Anyone interested in selling or donating a house for such a use, should contact the Oakland Land Trust at (510) 463-2887.
Councilmember At-Large Rebecca Kaplan is an honor graduate from MIT and was elected in 2008 to serve as Oakland’s citywide Councilmember, she was re-elected in 2016. She also serves on the Alameda County Transportation Commission (ACTC).
Follow Councilmember Kaplan on Twitter @Kaplan4Oakland and Facebook.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- PHOENIX SUNS TO THE NBA WESTERN CONFRENCE FINALS
- Eric Pangilinan Vlogger Zennie62
- Introducing Eric Pangilinan As New Zennie62 Vlogger
- Eric Pangilinanvlogger Zennie62
- Errol Barnett, Once A CNN Reporter In 2008, Now CBS Weekend Anchor In 2021
- Visit to Oakland Zoo
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 6/13/21
- Home For Sale 6416 Heather Ridge Way Oakland, CA 94611
- Home For Sale 532 30th St 10 Oakland, CA 94609
- Match Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Orange County SC
- 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4
- Is That Too Short, Famed Oakland Rapper, Doing The Hustle At District Bar In Old Oakland?
- Falcon And The Winter Soldier Is Better Than Loki Because Its Rooted In American Culture
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Philippines Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan Philippines Reaction
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home
- Howard Terminal Ballpark: A Gift To Oakland And Its People – By Kevin M. Corbett