OAKLAND, CA – For the past several weeks, Moms 4 Housing, a group of homeless mothers and their children have been residing in a formerly-vacant home in West Oakland. Wedgewood, a large investment corporation, with a troubling history of questionable evictions, is seeking to evict the women. The case is pending in court, and the corporation has hired controversial spokesperson Sam Singer to create a public relations response for them.
Wedgewood has now chosen to claim that they wish to work with a non-profit to use the house to benefit at-risk youth through jobs rehabbing houses, and have blamed the homeless moms for causing delay in the launch of this alleged program they claim they would be launching, if they kicked the moms out of the house. Unfortunately, the specific organization that Wedgewood named, appears to have no office or personnel anywhere in this region, no local business license, and no track record that can be found of performing this type of work.
In addition, there is no evidence that Wedgewood is serious about launching this alleged program, to employ low-income youth renovating houses, as such a program, to be real, would require staff and would obviously require more than one house to be viable. Wedgewood owns and buys hundreds of houses. Yet, thus far, they have not offered any of their other properties into the program they claim to be launching. Wedgewood has stated they would then sell the house, and send a portion of the proceeds to groups in Los Angeles, leaving no benefit to the local community.
Luckily, there is a viable, licensed, local non-profit that is located in Oakland and does actually have the capacity to respond – and they have offered to Wedgewood to buy the house from them. The Oakland Community Land Trust, which has experience acquiring, rehabbing, and otherwise handling houses – including those needing renovations – and providing them as affordable housing for lower-income residents in our community.
Council President Kaplan continues to urge Wedgewood Corporation, as she did in a letter back in December 2019, to sit down with the Oakland Community Land Trust and seek to work out a mutually beneficial situation which allows Wedgewood to get paid for their property, and end the situation of strife and negativity.
Council President Kaplan is also seeking other property owners who are willing to sell their properties to help, and work with the Oakland Community Land Trust. At a time when homelessness has increased 47% in Oakland since 2017, in part because of soaring housing prices, we need to work in partnership with multiple stakeholders to resolve this crisis.
Anyone interested in selling or donating a house for such a use, should contact the Oakland Land Trust at (510) 463-2887.
Councilmember At-Large Rebecca Kaplan is an honor graduate from MIT and was elected in 2008 to serve as Oakland’s citywide Councilmember, she was re-elected in 2016. She also serves on the Alameda County Transportation Commission (ACTC).
Follow Councilmember Kaplan on Twitter @Kaplan4Oakland and Facebook.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Russian and South Korean FMs speak to media in Moscow October 27, 2021
- Cowboys vs Vikings Predictions | NFL Odds, Free Picks & Best Bets for Week 8 October 27, 2021
- stuff garlic bread||yummy ||delicious ||domino’s ||zomato ||food network October 27, 2021
- Good Morning Football | Kyle Brandt “Derek Carr ‘MVP'” in Las Vegas Raiders BEAT Philadelphia Eagles October 27, 2021
- Blazers vs Grizzlies | Free NBA Picks 10/27 | Memphis @ Portland Today’s Basketball Bet | Kyle Kirms October 27, 2021
- The way Luka Doncic Runs up to Apologize 😂 #Shorts October 27, 2021
- LIVE: NBC News NOW – October 27 October 27, 2021
- VBET Armenian Premier League. Matchday 11. FC Alashkert – FC Noah October 27, 2021
- Indianapolis Colts vs Tennessee Titans Picks, Predictions and Odds | NFL Week 8 Preview | Oct 31 October 27, 2021
- Kay Burley takes a look at what we can expect to see in Budget 2021 October 27, 2021
- Budget 2021: The Chancellor takes the red box to the House of Commons October 27, 2021
- Supply chain crisis | US stores add Soviet vibes to their shelves October 27, 2021
- Grizzlies vs. Trailblazers 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Today Football Prediction | 27/10/2021 | Betting Strategy | DAILY FOOTBALL PREDICTIONS October 27, 2021
- Arizona Cardinals vs Green Bay Packers Picks, Predictions and Odds | Thursday Night Football Preview October 27, 2021
- Jaguars vs Seahawks Predictions | NFL Odds, Free Picks & Best Bets for Week 8 October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Game Picks and Betting Locks October 27, 2021
- 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Clashes erupt at demonstration against Ecuadorian President Lasso in Quito October 27, 2021
- CA EDD Update Pending, Fraud, Audit, EDD’s Accountability Hearing With CA Assembly October 27, 2021
- Jetson One – Official Launch October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves World Series Game 1 win over Houston sends Braves fans home happy October 27, 2021
- Budget 2021: Robert Jenrick says there are ‘reasons to be optimistic’ October 27, 2021
- Oakland A’s Howard Terminal Update Alameda County Board Comments, Vote On TIF Revenue Agreement October 27, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 First Look Up Close Details October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs. Houston Astros | 2021 World Series Game 1 News Update October 27, 2021
- CrossTalk | EU and China ‘frenemies’ October 27, 2021
- Learn how to create Khloe Kardashian’s ‘Candy Crush’ inspired nails October 27, 2021
- Mom is creepin’ it real this Halloween with larger-than-life DIY garage door monster October 27, 2021
- Why do some women wait decades for an ADHD diagnosis? – BBC News October 27, 2021
- Formal Dress For Men | Men’s Fashion | Formal Outfit For Men 2021 | Formal Pant Shirt Matching Ideas October 27, 2021
- Russell Wilson to the Saints and other NFL trades we’d love to see | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Picks, Best Bets & Survivor Pool Selections w/ Cam Stewart | Against The Spread October 27, 2021
- All-New 2023 Corvette Z06 Reveal October 27, 2021
- NBA Top 10 Plays Of The Night | October 26, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Reaction To The San Jose Sharks 3-1 Loss At The Nashville Predators October 27, 2021
- A’s Clear Latest Hurdle in Howard Terminal Saga October 27, 2021
- A’s Waterfront Ballpark Move Still on Track After Supes Vote October 27, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes Interviews Used as Evidence in Theranos Trial October 27, 2021
- Flood aftermath in Catania October 27, 2021