OAKLAND, CA – Monday, The Oakland City Council passed the second reading of the Ordinance to establish regulations and permits for dockless scooter sharing programs, co-authored by Councilmembers Kaplan, Gallo, and Department of Transportation Staff.
Kaplan says, “This Ordinance will provide responsible guidelines for scooter companies as they do business in Oakland.”
Councilmember Kaplan also provided the Council with additional suggestions to better improve implementation of scooter regulations in Oakland, here.
Dockless scooters are being made available by being placed in public locations, and can be a benefit to the community and help with health and mobility if done correctly. However, if done incorrectly, these scooters can have negative impacts by blocking wheelchairs and pedestrians, cluttering sidewalks, and becoming blight.
“The requirements deal with a range of problems and potential problems that have occurred – including prohibiting threatening noises, requiring liability insurance, and where they can be deployed,” says Kaplan.
The ordinance also requires local maintenance teams, specific allowed locations for dockless scooters, and discounted membership plan for those who are low-income. In addition, the ordinance will require dockless scooters distributed equitably throughout Oakland. No less than 50% of operator scooters shall be deployed in Oakland’s Communities of Concern.
“To make sure that we can have good mobility options for everyone in our community, it is important that scooter share systems be properly regulated, have affordable rates, provide local jobs and reliable local maintenance teams, and benefit the public. Depending how they are handled, scooter share systems could be a benefit or have negative impacts on our community – so I am thrilled Oakland voted to approve responsible regulations,” says Kaplan.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021
- Home For Sale At 9124 Lawlor St Oakland, CA
- Medina Sprit Had Steroids, May Lose Kentucky Derby Win, Trainer Bob Baffert Banned
- Jarrett Stidham Vs Mac Jones For Backup To Cam Newton In Auburn Vs Alabama Clash Of Patriots QBs
- Elon Musk Talks About Dogecoin On SNL Weekend Update But Will Market Respond?