IT PASSED! Oakland President Rebecca Kaplan Proposed Ballot Measure to Allow 16 and 17 Year-Olds To Vote in School Board Elections Passes Unanimously.
Oakland, Ca – Oakland City Council President, Rebecca Kaplan and the Oakland City Council unanimously passed a resolution to place the proposed ballot measure to allow 16 and 17 year-olds to vote in School Board elections. The coalition of youth advocates, including Oakland Kids First (OKF) and All City Council Student Union (ACC), made history today in the City of Oakland.
“I am pleased and encouraged that the City Council voted unanimously to support the youth-led initiative, Oakland Youth Vote, by securing placement on the November 2020 ballot to allow 16 and 17 year olds the right to vote in the School Board elections. This is an important step to demonstrate that we as a City value youth leadership, civic engagement and empowering the next generation leaders. At a time when we all need to see signs of optimism and hope the most, our youth are paving the way locally.”
-Aimee Eng, Oakland Unified School School Board Director, District 2
” Im happy to have supported the students I serve, from whom I learn to be a better director each year I serve.”
- Roseann Torres, Oakland Unified School Board Director, District 5
The youth advocates of OKF and ACC are comprised of teenagers across the District, who took an active role in civic engagement, studying issues of governance, and playing a participatory role in our democracy.
Council President Kaplan stated; “Allowing young adults to have a vote in elections directly impacting them, helps improve responsiveness of these governmental roles, and helps build empowered community members, with practical knowledge and skillset to make change in their community through the democratic process. In this era, as we face down threats of voter suppression and other efforts to silence marginalized voices in our democracy, it is all the more important that we work to ensure our communities are included.”
Oakland Kids First and All City Council launched the Oakland Youth Vote coalition and built alliances with community-based organizations across the region. They also mobilized caucuses of students from OUSD to actively engage elected officials from the Oakland City Council and OUSD Board of Directors to garner support for these efforts.
“Oakland Youth Vote is a critical opportunity to expand our democracy by elevating the voices and centering the needs of students who are most impacted by OUSD’s policies.” – Lukas Brekke-Miesner, Executive Director of Oakland Kids First
During this past year, students from the Oakland Youth Vote coalition learned and conducted research on the political process and worked to enable students to be enfranchised in the school-board elections as key stakeholders.
A student leader stated: “Research has proven that younger first-time voters are more likely to become life-long voters and make our parents more likely to vote as well. This will help us get more youth and young adults more civically engaged” – Denilson Garibo, Oakland School Board Student Director
At the City Council meeting today, May 19, 2020, Council President Kaplan, introduced the proposed ballot measure, to add an amendment to the Charter of the City of Oakland, to allow for voting by persons aged 16 and 17 for the Oakland Unified School District Board. Now approved by the City Council, this amendment will be placed on the ballot to be voted on by Oakland voters in the general election on November 3, 2020.
For more information and the Youth Voting Measure please click on the following link:
In 2016, 70.31% of voters in the neighboring city of Berkeley voted to allow persons aged 16 and 17 years old, to vote for school board members.
Oakland Youth Vote is endorsed by a wide range of people and groups, including Assemblymember Rob Bonta, Senator Nancy Skinner, the Wellstone Democratic Club, the OEA Executive Board, Oakland Rising, Faith In Action, EBASE, Public Advocates, Bay Area PLAN, and more than 50 organizations in Oakland. For A List of Supporters and Copies of Letters In Support of the Measure, please click on the following link: https://oakland.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=8435084&GUID=E5E546A0-9D90-4D83-899E-26BBCB9E5C1D
Oakland Councilmember At-Large Rebecca Kaplan is an honor graduate from MIT and was elected in 2008 to serve as Oakland’s citywide Councilmember, she was re-elected in 2016.
She also serves on the Alameda County Transportation Commission (ACTC).
Follow Councilmember Kaplan on Twitter @Kaplan4Oakland and Facebook.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- TIELEMANS STUNNER DOWNS BEES | Brentford 1 Leicester City 2 | Premier League October 24, 2021
- New York Jets vs New England Patriots | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Saints @ Seahawks- Monday 10/25/21- NFL Betting Picks and Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 24, 2021
- Cole Anthony 29 PTS 16 REB Full Highlights vs Knicks 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Hold on to the Ball in the Middle of a Tsunami is Your Squid Game…Begin October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles EMBARRASSED By Raiders: This Is The Most DISGUSTING Football I Have Ever Seen!!! October 24, 2021
- Derrick Rose 23 PTS 5 THREES Full Highlights vs Magic 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Orlando Magic vs New York Knicks – Full Game Highlights | October 23, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- Close Pass on Grand Ave in Oakland near Lake Merritt October 24, 2021
- 2 cars in flooded off ramp in San Francisco October 24, 2021
- Bay Area Forecast: Atmospheric River Brings Gusty Winds, Heavy Rain to the Bay Area October 24, 2021
- Nightly News Full Broadcast – October 24th October 24, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts Live stream – Colts vs 49ers NFL Live October 24, 2021
- The Houston Astros Advance to the WORLD SERIES!!! October 24, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers vs. Indianapolis Colts HIGHLIGHTs | NFL Week 7 – October 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Boston Celtics vs Houston Rockets – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- NBA DFS Picks 10/24/21 | Live Before Lock October 24, 2021
- 76ERS at THUNDER | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry with 28 Points, 7 threes & the DAGGER vs Thunder 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green UNREAL 30 points, 8 threes highlights vs Celtics 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Having a DUNKFEST 🔥 Back to back NASTY Dunks October 24, 2021
- By Not Having The NFL, Oakland Misses Free Marketing That San Francisco Enjoys For SNF October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE: San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts Live stream – Colts @ 49ers Live October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Oklahoma City Thunder – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry SHUSHING THE OKC CROWD with 7th Three October 24, 2021
- NFL REACTS TO LAS VEGAS RAIDERS BEATING PHILADELPHIA EAGLES | LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WINS 33-22 October 24, 2021
- BEARS VS BUCS (Live Reaction) – Tom Brady 600th Passing TD October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Levitates for the Dunk to Give Him 28 Pts in the Game! October 24, 2021
- Moscone rain shelter at capacity October 24, 2021
- GO EAGLES! / Philadelphia vr Las Vegas Raiders October 24, 2021
- ‘That was a shocker!’ | Neville gives damning verdict on Man Utd October 24, 2021
- “Welcome to the League” Joel Embiid HARD Foul on rookie Josh Giddey October 24, 2021
- 49ers Get the Interception in the Red Zone! October 24, 2021
- Moritz Wagner With the NASTY DUNK Over Obi Toppin October 24, 2021
- San Anselmo Creek could flood October 24, 2021
- Storm Sends Trees Crashing Down Across San Francisco October 24, 2021
- NFL DFS Showdown Live Before Lock SNF Week 7 Colts vs. 49ers Showdown | October 17 October 24, 2021
- Matt Nagy on loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- 49ers vs Colts Live Streaming Scoreboard, Play-By-Play, 49ers Highlights, Updates, Stats| NFL Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Rain Not Bothering the Colts October 24, 2021