This was sent to Zennie62Media approximately 20 minutes ago, and from the legal representatives of Oakland Bulk And Oversized Terminal. It’s in response to the news of the proposed Alliance of Californians for Community Empowement (ACCE) protest march to the home of Phil Tagami. Why? Because he’s a millionaire. A completely stupid action in a giant sea of millionaires in Oakland.
MEDIA STATEMENT IN ANTICIPATION OF DEMONSTRATION AT HOME OF PHIL TAGAMI
OAKLAND, Calif., July 1, 2020
It is our understanding that unspecified interests are attempting to organize a demonstration at the private family home of longtime Oakland resident and businessman, Phil Tagami, Chief Executive Officer of Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal (“OBOT”). Specifically, the following text is apparently being circulated to the public at large:
The current circumstances highlighting deep-rooted and systemic social injustices and the debilitating consequences inflicted by a global pandemic should and must be a catalyst for productive and proactive demonstration. But such demonstration must engage those who instituted those injustices, allowed them to perpetuate, and who have the power to change them now.
“No single Oaklander has been more instrumental and proactive in opening economic opportunity to the most disadvantaged in our community than Phil Tagami,” said Darren White, Oakland and Alameda County Coordinator of My Brother’s Keeper and NAACP Executive Board Member. “Under Phil’s leadership, OBOT and his other companies have contractually obligated themselves to proactive hiring policies that prioritize local Oakland residents, including previously incarcerated individuals.” The undisputed record of the work conducted to date at the former Oakland Army Base reveals that those commitments have not only been honored, but exceeded.
Conversely, according to Gregory McConnell of the McConnell Group, “the direct and intentional acts of the Oakland City Council have deprived the Oakland community of strong, well-paying union jobs at the Army Base. Additionally, the City’s obstructive and illegal behavior has deprived the City of substantial proceeds from rent and operational revenue sharing. And the City’s flagrant disregard of court orders exposes the City to substantial damages that would have to be paid with taxpayer dollars.”
Recently, the liberal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the City acted illegally in a sham proceeding manufactured to shut down OBOT’s project on purely political grounds. Even more astounding, the Court held that the City approved the project with full knowledge of its intended operations that the City now seeks to thwart based solely on political pressure from activists.
OBOT and Mr. Tagami commend and support those trying to bring about constructive change in these challenging times. We respectfully submit, however, that the action proposed for later today would be more productively directed at the Mayor and City Council whose ongoing actions continue to deprive Oaklanders of jobs and economic activity, all in direct defiance of court orders.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5
- President Joe Biden Statement On The Mass Shooting In Indianapolis, Indiana
- TUTORIAL: Register for Oakland’s Online Permit Portal!
- OSA IM Piano Recital-A Trip to Europe: Baroque to Contemporary
- City Of Oakland Says Check Your Permit Status