Oakland Athletics turn to social media for latest Howard Terminal / Coliseum ballpark plan talk
The Oakland Athletics sent an email newsletter announcing plans for a Facebook Live event that teams Oakland A’s representatives with folks from San Francisco Planning and Urban Research (SPUR) and Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG Architects). This is what it read:
The Oakland A’s and the San Francisco Bay Area Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR) are co-hosting a Facebook Live event with representatives from the Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) design team today at noon PST.
The Facebook Live event will give fans the chance to learn more about the design plans for the new A’s ballpark at Howard Terminal.
The social media event will feature an opening presentation from the BIG design team, followed by a question-and-answer session. Fans are encouraged to submit questions for the panel ahead of time by replying to posts on the A’s Facebook (facebook.com/athletics) and Twitter (@athletics) accounts.
More About Bjarke Ingels Group BIG Architects
If you’re wondering what Bjarke Ingels Group is as an architecture firm, they described themselves in this way:
BIG is a Copenhagen, New York, and London based group of architects, designers, urbanists, landscape professionals, interior and product designers, researchers, and inventors. Founded by Bjarke Ingels in 2005, the office is led by 17 partners and is currently involved in projects throughout Europe, North America, Asia, and the Middle East. BIG’s architecture emerges out of a careful analysis of how contemporary life constantly evolves and changes. Not least due to the influence from multicultural exchange, global economic flows, and communication technologies that together require new ways of architectural and urban organization. BIG believes that in order to deal with today’s challenges, architecture can profitably move into a field that has been largely unexplored.
As for SPUR, San Francisco Planning and Urban Research was an organization this blogger was keenly aware of, yet never joined when in graduate school at the University of California at Berkeley’s Planning School. Frankly, I have perceived SPUR as trying too hard to be intellectual, rather than interested – and more pointedly, interested in how planned developments spark social change, positively or negatively. Thus, the fact SPUR is described on its own Wikipedia page as once having a “the aspiration San Francisco’s “population will move closer to ‘standard White Anglo-Saxon Protestant’ characteristics” pretty much describes the reasons I avoided getting really involved in it, after considering membership. But that’s another story; I hold out hope SPUR gets better.
Oakland A’s Community Relations Effort Is Beyond What Others Have Done
Since the announcement of the plans for a dramatic new ballpark at Howard Terminal and a new design for the Oakland Coliseum, the Oakland A’s have went on an aggressive and very public community relations effort that featured a kind-of town hall meeting at the baseball organization’s Jack London Square Headquarters and many many events since October of last year. Zennie62Media’s Richard Haick was there for last week’s gathering:
Overall, it’s difficult to argue that the A’s have not been willing to talk and to listen regarding their quest to build a new ballpark in Oakland. In this process, the David Kaval-directed A’s are causing this blogger to ask why neither the Golden State Warriors or the Oakland Raiders tried to seriously build a stadium in Oakland? And was the reason truly connected to it’s majority-minority population?
Time for honesty.
For more on today’s Facebook Live online meeting, click here.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Home For Sale At 6690 Outlook Ave Oakland, CA 94605 September 28, 2021
- John Guillory Stars In What Happened to the Black People in Oakland? Part One September 28, 2021
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 09.26.21 September 28, 2021
- FISHER BLOCK PARTY – Oakland 2021 – 4K September 28, 2021
- Fisher block party (Oakland) 9/25/21 September 28, 2021
- Fisher Block Party Oakland Live Technomusic Experience September 28, 2021
- Britney Spears’ Dad Allegedly Bugged Her Phone and Home September 27, 2021
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Isn’t As Innocent As She Claims September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquakes – Dr Wendy Rocks Explains Why They Happened Today September 27, 2021
- Parents deny involvement in Brian Laundrie’s disappearance as FBI continues search September 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update – Oakland Doesn’t Need Alameda County For TIF, Loren Taylor Town Hall Tonight September 27, 2021
- Coach Gruden Presser | 9.27.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 27, 2021
- Bay Area Transparency Clashes With Oakland Police At Public Works Annex, Again September 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Is QB Derek Carr Leading In The MVP Race Right Now? By Eric Pangilinan September 27, 2021
- Oakland Police YouTube Video – Meet Deputy Chief Drennon Lindsey September 27, 2021
- KTVU’s Dave Clark Reports Sideshow Draws 70 Spectators in Oakland September 27, 2021
- Oakland Dynamites (8U) Big Play Highlights – 09.25.21 September 27, 2021
- With Double Slaying Sunday, Oakland Marks 102 Homicides So Far in 2021 September 27, 2021
- Rapper R Kelly Guilty Of Racketeering Sex Trafficking And Assault Expected To Get Decades In Jail September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquake Today | Magnitude 3.1 earthquake Near Summerville, North Charleston September 27, 2021
- Crete earthquake – Brit tourists terrified as mag-6 quake rocks Greek island September 27, 2021
- WorldView: Earthquake hits Greece; Volcano erupts in Spain’s Canary Islands September 27, 2021
- Magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes the Greek island of Crete September 27, 2021
- Beck Bennett Leaves SNL Saturday Night Live After Historic 2020, 8 Years – Check His Instagram Page September 27, 2021
- Here’s where Dog the Bounty Hunter thinks Brian Laundrie is September 27, 2021