Oakland News Now – Oakland A’s Make Offer To Buy Out Alameda County’ Share Of Coliseum Complex
The Oakland Athletics are making everyone happy – in Oakland, that is.
Not only did the Athletics back into the 2018 Major League Baseball Playoffs by virtue of the New York Yankees victory over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and for the first time since 2014, the organization did the City of Oakland a solid.
The Oakland A’s made an offer to buy the County of Alameda’s portion of the Coliseum Complex. If the Couty accepts the offer (which should be around $90 million, if Alameda County’s central concern is still recovering debt expense), that would release the City of Oakland, and in particular Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, from worrying about how to buyout the County’s share of the historic sports venue.
It would also save the City of Oakland from making a payment this blogger has called illogical. Oakland would wind up paying Alameda County, which would then get $90 million on top of new revenue it would make from the A’s privately financed new stadium. Oakland would do all of the work, and the County would enjoy the spoils, thanks to that buyout Libby wanted the City to pay for.
The plan for the City of Oakland to buyout the Alameda County share of the Coliseum started in 2014, and after the rather rough talks surrounding the lease extension for the Oakland Athletics. At that point, the idea of Oakland taking over the Coliseum entirely started because there were, as Councilmember Larry Reid put it after the A’s deal in 2014 “too many cooks in the kitchen.”
And some of those cooks didn’t understand the law surrounding even what the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority (Coliseum JPA) was capable of. Then Oakland District Two Councilmember Pat Kernighan said the Coliseum JPA itself should not be involved in developnent discussions because it didn’t have redevelopment powers over the stadium site. A point of view that flies in the face of Section 6502 of the California Government Code (the enabiling legislation for joint powers authorties in California) which states “If authorized by their legislative or other governing bodies, two or more public agencies by agreement may jointly exercise any power common to the contracting parties, including, but not limited to, the authority to levy a fee, assessment, or tax, even though one or more of the contracting agencies may be located outside this state.” “Any power” includes economic development and land use determination.
But I digress.
The Coliseum’s split ownership has created a climate where the relationship between its owners the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda is, today, so bad that there are people on the Alameda County Board of Supervisors who don’t have the best words for Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf. For her part, Mayor Schaaf has only focused on trying to find a way to get the County out of her way in the matter of the current home of the A’s, Raiders, and Golden State Warriors. It’s a fair bet that her excellent relationship with Oakland A’s President Dave Kaval led to this proposed buyout.
If so, score this one for Libby.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental mobile media video-blogging system network that’s part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 onYouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Free Football Pick UCLA Bruins vs Stanford Cardinal Prediction, 9/25/2021 College Football Best Bet September 25, 2021
- Stanford Football: UCLA Motivational September 25, 2021
- Washington vs Cal 9/25/21 Free College Football Picks and Predictions Week 4 2021 September 25, 2021
- Mail thieves caught on camera in Oakland September 25, 2021
- Home For Sale – 2364 E 16th St Oakland, CA 94601 September 25, 2021
- 2018 SUBARU Outback Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Vallejo J3219216 September 25, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: INSIDE motel where Gabby Petito’s fiancé stayed after the traffic stop September 25, 2021
- Oakland Residents Starting to Inquire About Getting COVID Boosters September 25, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 24, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021 September 25, 2021
- Rep. Lauren Boebert Paid Rent, Utilities With Campaign Funds, Filing Shows September 25, 2021
- Kroger Fayetteville GA Store’s Produce Bag Dispensers Placed Too High To Reach September 25, 2021
- TOP 15 YouTube Mistakes Small YouTubers Make – Why Your Channel Isn’t Growing September 25, 2021
- Palo Alto woman accused of starting Fawn Fire allegedly had lighter in her pocket: DA September 25, 2021
- PG&E charged in Zogg Fire that killed 4 last year September 25, 2021
- The Road to 3-0, Dolphins’ Change at QB and More Storylines Heading Into Week 3 | Raiders | NFL September 25, 2021
- Shaquille O’Neal’s Credit Card was Declined at Walmart September 25, 2021
- NBA players flirting with officials September 25, 2021
- Little Italy – Standoff ends with man almost hitting pedestrians September 25, 2021
- Search for Brian Laundrie continues Saturday after false-alarm at the family house September 25, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs And Richie Incognito Still Injured By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Social Media Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021