North Carolina rocked by 5.1 magnitude earthquake | USA News
From YouTube Channel: August 9, 2020 at 11:05AM
ONN – A 5.1 magnitude earthquake struck North Carolina at 8:07am in Sparta Sunday
The force of the quake was felt as far away as South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS)
No injuries have been reported in Sparta or elsewhere as a result of the tremor
This is the largest earthquake to hit the state in 104 years, when a 5.2 magnitude quake rumbled near Skyland in 1916
A 5.1 magnitude earthquake struck North Carolina on Sunday morning, the largest to hit the state in more than a century.
The quake hit at 8:07am around 100 miles north of Charlotte near to the town of Sparta, which is situated along North Carolina’s border with Virginia.
The force of the quake was said to be felt as far away as South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, according to the US Geological Survey. The department said it received numerous report of the quake in Atlanta, 300 miles away from the epicenter.
‘It felt like a big locomotive going by and a big wave coming underneath the bed,’ said Sparta Mayor Wes Brinegar, who said he was woken up by the quake. ‘A big wave coming to lift you.’
According to the USGS, this is the largest earthquake to hit the state in 104 years, when a 5.2 magnitude quake rumbled near Skyland in 1916.
No injuries have so far been reported in Sparta or elsewhere as a result of the tremor. However, some minor damage was reported in the town of 1,800 people.
‘Cracked foundation, and stuff falling off shelves in houses,’ Brinegar said. ‘I’ve lived here my whole life and have never felt anything like that.’
Town Councilman Cole Edwards told CNN how he too was shaken awake by the quake. He said his home sustained no damage, though it broke some dishes and knocked pictures off the wall, he said.
Brinegar said a lot of people in the town were ‘scared’ this morning. ‘This was the most intense one we’ve ever had,’ the mayor continued.
Alleghany County had 1,112 customers without power as of 9:45am, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.
As of 10:00am ET, approximately 45,000 people reported feeling the quake.
More aftershocks could continue near the epicenter of the main shock throughout the week.
‘When there are more earthquakes, the chance of a large earthquake is greater which means that the chance of damage is greater,’ the U.S. Geological Survey said.
‘According to our forecast, over the next 1 Week there is a 4 percent chance of one or more aftershocks that are larger than magnitude 5.1. It is likely that there will be smaller earthquakes over the next 1 Week, with … magnitude 3 or higher aftershocks’
Sunday’s earthquake thundered at a depth of around 5.7 miles, which the USGS considers to be a shallow quake.
Quakes shallower than 43 miles tend to be more destructive than deeper ones, the USGS says.
What experts deem ‘moderately damaging’ earthquakes hit inland Carolina every few decades, with smaller quakes coming every one or two years
According to the USGS, earthquakes that hit in the central and eastern areas of the US ‘are typically felt over a much broader region.’
In addition to people in the Carolinas and Georgia, the tremor was also felt in Nashville, Tennessee.
‘East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the West Coast,’ the USGS said
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kevin Durant Saves The Brooklyn Nets Season In Game Five Against The Bucks, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Homeless Encampment Believed To Be Cause Of Fire In Irwindale CA By Joseph Armendariz
- Derek Carr Is A Good Example Of What Being A Raider Means – By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Jacob’s Derek Carr Mini Camp Press Conference My Take Joseph Armendariz
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore Because Of Cancel Culture -By Eric Pangilinan
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore
- What Will Be The Raiders Keys To Having A Winning Season: By Eric pangilinan
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Oakland A’s Presentation To Alameda County With City of Oakland
- Charles Barkley Slams Cancel cultre !!by Eric pangilinan
- Will Derek Carr Get A Contract Extention From The Raiders?by Eric pangilinan
- Philippines Fight Vs China Over West Philippines Sea by Eric pangilinan
- Dave Kaval Oakland A’s President Howard Terminal Presentation Slides For Alameda County Meeting
- Gavin Newsom Celebrates California Reopening Day – Visit The Alley, Oakland On Grand Ave
- An Uptown Oakland Axe-Wielding Black Man With Mental Issues Life Was Saved By Not Calling OPD
- Katherine Tai United States Trade Representative Ambassador On-the-Record Press Call
- The Oakland Athletics Howard Terminal Ballpark Spreadsheet Vlog Part 1
- Oakland East Bay Black Professionals Association Juneteenth Jubilee Saturday June 19th
- Las Vegas Raiders Henry Ruggs 11 says He Is Ready To Make A Statement by Eric Pangilinan
- Lebron James Says Get Him Some Damian Lillard To LA Lakers Tampering By Eric Pangilinan
- Ray Bobbitt And Robert Bobb Of AASEG Talks WNBA At Oakland Arena Progress