North Carolina rocked by 5.1 magnitude earthquake | USA News
From YouTube Channel: August 9, 2020 at 11:05AM
ONN – A 5.1 magnitude earthquake struck North Carolina at 8:07am in Sparta Sunday
The force of the quake was felt as far away as South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS)
No injuries have been reported in Sparta or elsewhere as a result of the tremor
This is the largest earthquake to hit the state in 104 years, when a 5.2 magnitude quake rumbled near Skyland in 1916
A 5.1 magnitude earthquake struck North Carolina on Sunday morning, the largest to hit the state in more than a century.
The quake hit at 8:07am around 100 miles north of Charlotte near to the town of Sparta, which is situated along North Carolina’s border with Virginia.
The force of the quake was said to be felt as far away as South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, according to the US Geological Survey. The department said it received numerous report of the quake in Atlanta, 300 miles away from the epicenter.
‘It felt like a big locomotive going by and a big wave coming underneath the bed,’ said Sparta Mayor Wes Brinegar, who said he was woken up by the quake. ‘A big wave coming to lift you.’
According to the USGS, this is the largest earthquake to hit the state in 104 years, when a 5.2 magnitude quake rumbled near Skyland in 1916.
No injuries have so far been reported in Sparta or elsewhere as a result of the tremor. However, some minor damage was reported in the town of 1,800 people.
‘Cracked foundation, and stuff falling off shelves in houses,’ Brinegar said. ‘I’ve lived here my whole life and have never felt anything like that.’
Town Councilman Cole Edwards told CNN how he too was shaken awake by the quake. He said his home sustained no damage, though it broke some dishes and knocked pictures off the wall, he said.
Brinegar said a lot of people in the town were ‘scared’ this morning. ‘This was the most intense one we’ve ever had,’ the mayor continued.
Alleghany County had 1,112 customers without power as of 9:45am, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.
As of 10:00am ET, approximately 45,000 people reported feeling the quake.
More aftershocks could continue near the epicenter of the main shock throughout the week.
‘When there are more earthquakes, the chance of a large earthquake is greater which means that the chance of damage is greater,’ the U.S. Geological Survey said.
‘According to our forecast, over the next 1 Week there is a 4 percent chance of one or more aftershocks that are larger than magnitude 5.1. It is likely that there will be smaller earthquakes over the next 1 Week, with … magnitude 3 or higher aftershocks’
Sunday’s earthquake thundered at a depth of around 5.7 miles, which the USGS considers to be a shallow quake.
Quakes shallower than 43 miles tend to be more destructive than deeper ones, the USGS says.
What experts deem ‘moderately damaging’ earthquakes hit inland Carolina every few decades, with smaller quakes coming every one or two years
According to the USGS, earthquakes that hit in the central and eastern areas of the US ‘are typically felt over a much broader region.’
In addition to people in the Carolinas and Georgia, the tremor was also felt in Nashville, Tennessee.
‘East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the West Coast,’ the USGS said
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Total Packers with Matt LaFleur: Allen Lazard October 28, 2021
- Allen Lazard 1 on 1: ‘I was the hot hand’ October 28, 2021
- Tim Syzmanski October 28, 2021
- Atlanta Falcons LIVE postgame press conferences | Carolina Panthers vs. Atlanta Falcons October 28, 2021
- Saints-Bucs Week 8 | Fantasy Keys to the Crown October 28, 2021
- Jordan Mailata Discusses “Lack of Execution” vs. Raiders & More | Eagles Press Conference October 28, 2021
- How one military mom mobilized thousands of volunteers to bring sense of hope to Afghan refugees October 28, 2021
- Michigan farm helps formerly incarcerated Americans grow vegetables and opportunity October 28, 2021
- Does Apple’s new privacy changes show it has too much power? October 28, 2021
- President Biden to announce new social spending package framework October 28, 2021
- Alok Sharma says he hopes that COP26 will show that the UK ‘delivered when it mattered’ October 28, 2021
- Keyshawn on J.J. Watt’s latest injury: ‘J.J. has not played a full season since winning DPOY!’ | KJM October 28, 2021
- Kyle Shanahan: Trey Lance Will Return to Practice Ahead of Week 8 | 49ers October 28, 2021
- Governor Larry Hogan on vaccinating kids and President Biden’s infrastructure deal October 28, 2021
- Newest hockey arena focuses on climate awareness October 28, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Best Bets: Spreads, Player Props & O/U Picks (+11.59U on the year!) October 28, 2021
- Merck ready to deploy Covid-19 antiviral pill upon FDA approval, CEO says October 28, 2021
- Rep. Jeffries: It’s My Understanding All Senate Dems Will Support Framework October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Latest news, breaking stories and analysis on October 28 | CBSN October 28, 2021
- Man Awarded $10M In Reverse Discrimination Case, Claims Fired For Being ‘White’ October 28, 2021
- Chelsea v Reading | Premier League U18 | Live Match October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Market Coverage: Thursday October 28 Yahoo Finance October 28, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE | Director behind first-ever movie filmed in space speaks to RT October 28, 2021
- This Morning’s Top Headlines – October 28 | Morning News NOW October 28, 2021
- Why Calvin Ridley is the best route running receiver in the NFL | Atlanta Falcons October 28, 2021
- Rescue dogs dress up in iconic scary movie costumes l GMA October 28, 2021
- FULL MATCH – Drew McIntyre vs. Randy Orton – WWE Title Hell in a Cell Match: WWE Hell in a Cell 2020 October 28, 2021
- Mario Party Superstars Review October 28, 2021
- She was fired over speaking up on Covid-19. Now, she’s coming for Matt Gaetz’s job October 28, 2021
- Mario Party Superstars – N64 vs. Switch Graphics Comparison October 28, 2021
- Player speaks after report finds Chicago Blackhawks took “no action” for weeks on sex assault cla… October 28, 2021
- Small SUVs only do so-so in revamped side crash test October 28, 2021
- 2016 Chevrolet Impala Limited Atlanta, Griffin, McDonough, Fayetteville, Thomaston, GA NT26687B October 28, 2021
- Comcast’s Q3 earnings beat Wall Street’s expectations October 28, 2021
- UFC 267: Fight Week Focus – Ep. 1 | Jan Blachowicz & Khamzat Chimaev October 28, 2021
- Migrant Caravan: Thousands In Mexico Moving Towards U.S. Border October 28, 2021
- dreamy Chicken Carbonara Recipe taken from @FoodNetwork October 28, 2021
- Biden To Detail Framework He Thinks Can Pass House, Senate: WaPo Reporter October 28, 2021
- Early morning fire causes evacuations at senior apartments on Eastern October 28, 2021
- Could the Great Barrier Reef lose its world heritage status? – BBC News October 28, 2021