NordVPN sent over a press release I think you should read. Here goes:
Extensions can add a lot of useful features on top of the standard functionalities provided by your browser. There are thousands of them – for games, shopping, work or productivity. At the same time, they can be much more dangerous than most people realize.
“As in everything related to IT, there are good products and those that you would like to avoid. So the best thing you can do – always be cautious and never install anything without checking twice,” says Daniel Markuson, Digital Privacy Expert at NordVPN. “The most important steps before installing any browser extension should be checking if it comes from a trustworthy developer and source and how many access permissions it requests.”
The biggest problem with extensions is that they often require access to change or read everything you do online. If, for example, a browser extension is meant to manage your Google account, it may also be able to access your email, location data and other information. As mentioned before, not all browser extensions are bad, but you should be wary before choosing them.
“Even if a browser extension is valid, another problem is that many popular ones are later sold or hijacked. Then malware can be pushed through the automatic updates,” says Daniel Markuson, Digital Privacy Expert at NordVPN. “This can happen because some extensions gain a lot of users, but their developers are not getting any money from it.”
How to use browser extensions safely
Browser extensions might be really convenient, so here are a few tips from NordVPNs Digital Privacy Expert Daniel Markuson on how to use them safely.
Don’t use too many extensions. First of all, because using too many can affect your computer’s performance. Secondly, as mentioned before, some extensions create a potential attack vector, so narrowing their number to the most essential ones might be a good idea. If you rarely use an extension, uninstall it.
Install only from the official stores. Make sure you download extensions for your browser only from a secure source, which usually means an official store. There’s less chance to get a malicious one there. Also, check the developers of the extension beforehand. If it was created by some random guy, it’s a good candidate to become malware (even if it is not at the moment).
Pay attention to the app permissions. If some of the required permissions seem unrelated or excessive, it might be an alarming signal. In such a case, better find another one that does the same job. This rule also applies to the add-ons you already have – if you are getting a new permission request, the extension might have been sold or hacked. By the way, don’t forget to read reviews.
Use security solutions. Update your antivirus regularly and get a VPN, like NordVPN. VPN keeps your private information safe from hackers and other cyber-criminals. Besides, it can detect and block many of the malicious websites and browser extensions that can do harm. VPN might be used as a native application for your device or as a browser extension, and that is one of the good ways to use extensions.
Few browser extensions that we recommend
Here’s a list of a few useful and, as far as we know for the moment, safe browser extensions that can enhance your experience online.
NordVPN: encrypts your browsing activities and hides you from ISPs, government or hackers.
Grammarly: when you need a hand with your grammar.
LastPass: a useful tool to keep your passwords in one place and log into accounts automatically.
Lazarus: helps to avoid losing your data typed into online forms.
Pushbullet: allows you to send and receive messages in your browser.
Boomerang: allows to schedule emails and set up recurring emails.
Evernote Web Clipper: helps in adding articles, images, and notes to Evernote with just a click.
The Great Suspender: pauses tabs after a certain amount of time so they don’t use processing power.
NordVPN is the world’s most advanced VPN service provider that is more security oriented than most VPN services. It offers double VPN encryption, ad blocking & Onion Over VPN. The product is very user friendly, offers one of the best prices on the market, has over 4,500 servers worldwide and is P2P friendly. One of the key features of NordVPN is zero log policy. For more information: nordvpn.com.
At Zennie62Media, we get a lot of press releases, daily. So many, that I’m going to start posting and commenting on anything that’s newsworthy and fresh. Our other Zennie62 bloggers take press releases they and we find important and post them, without comment or editing. This is different.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021