ONN – Noel Gallo, the Oakland District Five Councilmember, took time to talk with Zennie62Media Vlogger Chuck Johnson before the start of Friday’s Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority Board Meeting to vote on the Oakland Raiders Lease Extension.
Councilmember Gallo, of the two Oakland City Councilmembers who have advocated to try and legally keep the Raiders name and colors in the ownership of Oakland entities, did not mince words in talking about his displeasure with the Raiders actions leading up to the Las Vegas Relocation. “I support a year lease, a two year lease, but no further down the line. The reality is, I represent the public they (The Raiders) need to own up to their investment, as well as to what they owe the citizens.”
In the video interview, Gallo says “I’m a Raiders Fan from beginning to end, and I would love to see the Raiders stay in Oakland, but I’m not going to sit by and be taken advantage of by the management.” Gallo added that Oakland has been “taken advantage of too many times, for too long. And the NFL, the National Football League, and some of the other professional sports, are responsible, accountable, for that action (of being taken advantage of). It’s sad to see that happen, but at the end of the day, we want to see the Raiders and the other professional teams stay in Oakland, but they have to honor their commitment to the citizens of Oakland, and that’s the bottom line.”
When Chuck Johnson observed that the new ownership didn’t, to him, seem to have the same commitment to Oakland, Gallo agreed, saying “When you look back, to when they came back from LA to the City of Oakland, did they (The Oakland Raiders) ever give back that $50 million loan that the city gave them, including some of the people sitting here (at the Coliseum JPA Meeting). Nobody can tell you that. What happened to the loan? It’s a loan, you supposed to pay it back – what happened to the $50 million?” Gallo then said that the NFL and the Raiders are in Oakland to make money, but that it should be (considered) an honor to be in Oakland, and your fan base, and your city supporting you. But you gotta pay your loan, and pay your fees and honor the public. That’s the bottom line.”
Noel Gallo’s Favorite Oakland Raider
Asked who his favorite Oakland Raider is, Gallo said “I have many favorite Raiders, but I guess (Oakland Raiders Cornerback) Willie Brown. He was available. He would come to our schools, our neighborhoods.” Gallo praised Willie Brown, member of the NFL Hall of Fame, for talking to young Oaklanders and telling them there were opportunities beyond the streets. He said Willie Brown made a great impression on him and his family members.
On The $50 million Loan: It’s $64 Million And Now Over $200 Million
A moment to correct Oakland Councilmember Gallo on his remarks related to the “$50 million loan.” It was actually a $64 million loan that the California Supreme Court later called a payment that should have been shared with the rest of the teams in the NFL. But the idea the City of Oakland and County of Alameda had and agreed to with the Raiders was to give them $64 million. It was called at the time a “non-recourse loan” – even though it doesn’t fit the true definition of such, because the City and County already owned the Coliseum.
The problem has been recorded by Coliseum JPA financial advisors and is on page 16 of the most recent finance report from 2016. It states that the “loan” has ballooned in value from its original value to about $180 then, and projecting to 2036, over $220 million. The financial advisors wrote, at the time that the Coliseum JPA did not, and had not, come up with a way to collect on that loan. The problem is they didn’t talk to this blogger.
This blogger served as Economic Advisor to Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris from 1995 to 1999, and in 1996, was part of a group of City political aides who met with Oakland Assistant City Manager Ezra Rapport. Rapport was the architect of the Raiders Deal to bring the team back to Oakland, including financing what’s now called The East Side Club and “Mount Davis”. I asked Rapport about the loan and what the payback is. Ezra said “the payback is in the Raiders playing at the Coliseum and paying rent and generating revenue from game operations.”
It must be noted that the Coliseum JPA has paid the Raiders’ game day expenses annually since the team returned from LA. That was $9 million in 2018 – if that’s used as present value, then multiplied times 23 years, that comes to $207 million.
So, the Raiders arguably owe on the loan, the game day expenses, and the non-paid part of the revenue bond issue of $220 million and interest – what’s remaining to be paid is $83 million. But a court might say the Raiders owe $600 million, then apply treble damages, thus owing $1.8 billion.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network – part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Intel CEO on company’s transformation strategy October 28, 2021
- Thursday Free Betting Picks & TNF Predictions – 10/28/21 l Picks & Parlays October 28, 2021
- Oakland Inspector General Public Forum October 28, 2021
- Chiefs Trade Rumors On Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Marvin Jones & Mike Hughes | NFL Trade Deadline October 28, 2021
- Bill Lazor: ‘We’ve got to be better in every aspect of the passing game’ | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Social Spending Framework As ‘Game Changer For Families’ October 28, 2021
- Benzino on His Daughter Coi Leray Being a Bigger Rapper than Him (Part 16) October 28, 2021
- Is Derrick Henry One of the BEST RBs Ever? October 28, 2021
- Fabio Silva and Ruben Neves CAN’T BELIEVE their FIFA Ratings | Uncut October 28, 2021
- Biden delivers remarks before he travels to Italy for the G20 leader summit October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Framework For Social Spending Plan: ‘No One Got Everything They Wanted’ October 28, 2021
- PFT Draft: Top Week 8 matchups around the NFL | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- CDC: Latinos Have The Highest Rate Of Depression October 28, 2021
- Sherry’s Forecast: Thursday, October 28 October 28, 2021
- COP26: Indian Teen Activist Joins Youth in Glasgow Climate Summit October 28, 2021
- Ree Drummond Makes Acting Debut In Food Network Christmas Film — Watch The Trailer! October 28, 2021
- Free Sports Picks | NFL Week 8 Picks | College Football Betting Previews | WagerTalk Today | Oct 28 October 28, 2021
- All-New 2023 Corvette Z06 Reveal | Chevrolet Canada October 28, 2021
- U.S. Rep ‘disturbed’ by Washington Football Team, NFL situation | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- Watch Live: Biden speaks about new $1.75 trillion social spending bill | CBSN October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Between The Horns: Rams vs. Texans Preview, Matthew Stafford & Cooper Kupp’s Dynamic + More October 28, 2021
- Charleston White on IG Model Mercedes Morr’s Death (Part 28) October 28, 2021
- Alicia Taylor is not a fan of McKenzie Mitchell’s new friend Chucky: What’s NeXT, Oct. 28, 2021 October 28, 2021
- Arlo White remembers filming ‘Ted Lasso’ with Jason Sudeikis | Premier League | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- Six Stats to Know for Week 8 | Chiefs vs. Giants October 28, 2021
- Behind the Scenes of Will Ferrell’s Cover Shoot #SHORTS October 28, 2021
- Jonathan Allen Breaks Down Biden’s New Human Infrastructure Framework October 28, 2021
- Morning News NOW Full Broadcast – October 28 October 28, 2021
- ‘GMA’ visits Bran Castle in Romania, the home of Dracula October 28, 2021
- Día de los Muertos event in Sacramento to feature recreated Mexican cemetery October 28, 2021
- ‘Stock price speaks for itself’: Ginkgo CEO says after short-seller report October 28, 2021
- NBA 28/10/2021 FREE NBA BETS , PICKS AND PREDICTIONS October 28, 2021
- San Francisco’s MOST DANGEROUS HOOD, Hunters Point October 28, 2021
- Truth About the Dodgers 2020 World Series Title & Why It’s as Legitimate as any World Series Title October 28, 2021
- Rams owner Stan Kroenke backing away from financial obligations | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- ‘Leaving this pandemic stronger than going into it’: Ebay CEO October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Biden announces a framework for his social and climate spending bill — 10/28/2021 October 28, 2021
- Agree or Disagree: Lance the ‘QB of the future’? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- Thursday Night Football (NFL Week 8 Picks) PACKERS vs CARDINALS | TNF Free Picks & Odds October 28, 2021
- Parent upset OUSD is mandating vaccines October 28, 2021