Statement from Nikki Fortunato Bas, Candidate for Oakland City Council District 2, on $9 Million for “Keep Oakland Housed” Homeless Program.
While we applaud foundations contributing to housing solutions, our housing crisis is not going to be solved by private charities. Housing is a social issue, and it’s the job of our government to address this crisis, using the solutions that are at our fingertips.
Oakland is in a development boom. Big corporations and developers must pay their fair share for the infrastructure they need to do business, including affordable housing for their multi-income workforce.
Our City has streamlined the development process without requiring any affordable housing. Our neighbors have had affordability requirements for years: San Francisco requires 24%, Berkeley requires 20%, Emeryville requires 20%. With all the wealth being generated right now by development, we need to make sure that it’s benefiting our community. There’s no reason people should be pushed out of the city, or worse, onto the street.
Here are three solutions I will champion immediately if elected to City Council:
First, we must pass a public lands policy that allows the City to immediately use our vacant public lots and vacant buildings for sanctioned homeless encampments and to build thousands of affordable homes. The City Council has dragged its feet on such a policy for three years. Yet, the community has identified 36 vacant public parcels suitable for building over 3,600 units. The policy was supposed to be heard in Tuesday’s Council meeting, but once again, it has been delayed.
Second, we must push for the highest levels of required affordability with new development and work together for community benefits that pay for the true costs of infrastructure and help maintain our beloved Oakland culture. 25% should be the floor as we negotiate with new developers to build in our world-class city.
Third, our city budget must reflect our values of equity and fairness. Housing affordability and homelessness have surpassed public safety and education as the #1 concern of Oaklanders for the first time. Yet, our city budget allocates very little to this crisis. We should dedicate at least the $2.4 million of Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) (i.e. AirBNB tax) to affordable housing development – which the incumbent failed to do last year. We should also generate new revenue, such as charging private market-rate residential and commercial developers the true cost of their infrastructure burden.
As an independent voice for Oaklanders with a 20-year track record of passing win-win policies for working families, I will be able to represent our diverse community and balance our growth with real equity. Unlike the incumbent, I am not taking corporate and developer money. Instead, I will be beholden to everyday Oaklanders.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021
- Police release video of suspect vehicle in fatal shooting of Oakland teen October 14, 2021
- Oakland Councilmember Treva Reid and Community Advocate Bro Ron Muhammad October 14, 2021