12 Oakland Schools Offer Free Meals to Students in Need During Coronavirus Closure
OUSD Superintendent to Drop By West Oakland Middle School’s “Grab and Go” Site.
Oakland – Monday, March 16 is the first of 15 straight school days upon which all Oakland schools are shuttered to students, as the District does its part to help battle the spread of coronavirus. During this closure, students of all ages are urged to follow the advice of public health experts: practice good social distancing by staying home with family, and away from others who could spread the virus.
While schools are closed for three weeks including spring break, the needs of students remain. More than 70% of Oakland Unified School District’s students qualify for the Free and Reduced Price School Meal program, and even with schools closed, the District remains focused on ensuring students receive the food they need. 12 sites across the District will be open on Monday and Thursday mornings to serve as pick up locations for “Grab and Go” breakfasts and lunches that students can take home. The food is available free of charge to any child under 18 years old. Students and families are asked to bring bags to the sites to carry the food home. The schools open for the Grab and Go meal service are:
* Northwest/West Oakland: Sankofa Elementary, West Oakland Middle School, and Hoover Elementary
* Central Oakland: Oakland High School, and Garfield Elementary
* East Oakland: Bret Harte Middle School, Life Academy/United for Success, Coliseum College Preparatory Academy, Madison Park Upper, Fremont High School, Castlemont High School, and Elmhurst United Middle School
On Monday morning at West Oakland Middle School, Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell will visit the nutrition services staff, observe the Grab and Go process and greet students and families (maintaining good social distance). Media is invited to observe the food distribution effort. (Some students and families may not want to be photographed by the media, so please exercise discretion.)
WHAT: Grab and Go Food Distribution for OUSD Students; Superintendent Visits Site
WHEN: 8:00 a.m. – Noon (Superintendent Visits at 10:45 a.m.), Monday, March 16
WHERE: West Oakland Middle School (plus other schools listed above), 991 14th Street
- Oakland Schools OUSD’s Grab And Go Free Meal Program In Day Three As Need Expands
- Oakland Schools: OUSD Grab And Go Free Meal Program Surpasses 1,000,000
- Oakland Schools News: OUSD Nutrition Services Department Annual Free Lunch Policies For Students
- Oakland Schools News: OUSD, Oakland Latino Educators To Honor Thousands Of Students