Nancy Sidebotham is running for public office in Oakland, yet again. The long-time tax specialist has ran for some seat on the Oakland City Council, councilmember or Mayor, seven times now. To take a look working backward, Nancy (who’s lived in Oakland since 1962 and is 69 years old) is running for Mayor of Oakland in 2018, ran for the Oakland At-Large City Council Seat in 2016, ran for Mayor of Oakland in 2014, ran for the District 6 seat 2010, 2006, and 2002, and 2001.
From the point this author started covering Ms.Sidebotham’s campaigns in 2010, the message has always been that Oakland’s lacking in great leadership. She believed that in the case of Oakland City Council District 6, but has been a supporter of Councilmember Desley Brooks for several years now. But that message remains the same today (that Oakland’s gone downhill, needs leadership help, and it’s not getting it), just turned toward Oakland’s highest office yet again, as she runs as one of 10 candidates challenging the incumbent Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf.
There are 24 Zennie62 on YouTube videos on Nancy (to date), and of them, 9 are interviews with her of some length, including Tuesday night, May 29th. Of all of them, last night’s talk, which ran for 1 hour, 34 minutes, and seven seconds, was by far her most informative, provacative, and explosive of all of them.
The talk was supposed to focus mostly on Oakland and sports: the relocations of the Raiders and the Golden State Warriors, and the Oakland A’s quest to build a new stadium in Oakland. But, as Nancy’s running for Mayor, and Oakland has a ton of pressing issues, and she’s not afraid to express her view in an unvarnished way.
On the matter of the homeless problem, she said “the homeless issue is one that is national as well as county. Oakland doesn’t have the means to take care of the homeless. Oakland’s paid into, Measure, I believe it’s KK, I don’t know which is which these days. But money has been paid in to start building and stuff, but nothing is happening. The homeless are coming from other cities. Berkeley is in the midst of kicking them out. Berkeley used to be the standard place for homeless to come when they came – welcomed them with open arms…” Nancy says Oakland takes on more projects, but does not pay for them and insists Oakland does not have the means to take care of the homeless.
On the problem of gentrification, Nancy blames the EB-5 visa program for the affordable housing problem Oakland faces today and is the cause, in part, of the population change called “ gentrification.” The EB-5 program allows, say, a foreign national who’s a tech startup investor, to spend over $1 million and start a business employing over 10 people in America – and thus become a lawful permanent resident. “And that’s where all the gentrification is happening,” Nancy says (in the interview that you can watch and is posted above) that the gentrification problem is because of homes available for auction that have foreclosed and are being bought up mostly by foreign nationals. “It’s not all whites causing gentrification (in Oakland),” Nancy says. “Houses around here are going for $4,000 a month, what is wrong with this picture?”, she asks.
Nancy also has strong words for a number of notable California and Oakland elected officials, most notably now California Governor, then Oakland Mayor, Jerry Brown, who she says has given up Oakland to developers.
From here, this author will resist the temptation to render a judgment on everything Nancy has said (we have a few strong exchanges in the livestream toward the end) because the objective is to make sure you the Oakland voter has as much information as you feel you need decide who to vote for in the Oakland Mayoral Election. Watch and listen to the entire conversation. Some of the viewers like Nancy’s fire, perhaps you will, too.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Witness Claims Oakland Police Searching for Wrong Car in Road Rage Homicide October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021