Atlanta – In a 2018 Georgia election race marred by blatant examples of voter suppression and voting machine irregularities the NAACP Georgia State Conference partnering with Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law won an injunction against the use of the controversial voter regulating software called Exact Match.
In the ruling which challenged Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp’s decision to not process 53,000 voter registration applications – an estimated 70 percent Black—the federal court in Atlanta granted the NAACP’s request for a preliminary injunction to allow persons whose registration applications are being held in “pending” status because of citizenship, to be able to vote regular ballots upon presenting proof of citizenship at the polls. Today’s ruling will directly affect about 3100 applications.
“Georgia’s attempt to deter voters of color from exercising their right to vote is downright appalling,” said NAACP General Counsel Brad Berry. “We are keeping a very close eye on the state and will continue to scrutinize any voter irregularities and challenge them legally.”
The motion for a preliminary injunction was limited to the “citizenship subset” of the approximately 53,000 applications held in pending status due to the “exact match” system. As a result of today’s ruling, all persons whose applications were flagged and held as a result of the “exact match” system will be able to vote upon presenting photo identification and/or citizenship verification at the polls.
“This is a battle won, but the war against voter suppression and the attempts to disrespect, diminish or minimize the voting power of the Black Community continues and the NAACP is front center in leading this charge,” said NAACP Georgia State President Phyllis Blake.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee Says Theater Reopens May 27th With Quiet Place 2 & Cruella 3200 Grand Av
- Zennie Abraham Live On WKDEEFM.ORG Talking Oakland A’s Howard Terminal Ballpark Issue
- Inside Fairyland Park, Lake Merritt Oakland.
- Letter From Oakland City Council Leaders To MLB Commissioner On A’s Howard Terminal Project
- Oakland City Council Leadership Sends Nasty Letter To MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Ballpark
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back: Bike Oakland: Redwood Rd & Park, Skyline, Leona Canyon
- Elizabeth Olsen Reunited With Anthony Mackie At MTV Awards 2021
- Kathryn Hahn Wins Best Villain For WandaVision At MTV Awards 2021
- Conservative Commentator Candace Owens May Run For President
- Howard Terminal Or Bust Dave Kaval Is Right Because Oakland A’s Have No Place To Go
- Vanessa Bryant Hall of Fame Speech | Kobe Bryant NBA Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
- Browns owners unveil new proposal for Cleveland lakefront
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report By Michelle Milliken – May 16,2021
- Asian woman spit on at red light in Oakland
- Las Vegas Raiders 2021 NFL Schedule Review Livestream At Zennie62 YouTube
- Golden Gate Bridge daredevils sought
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- Hearst Media Services Uses San Francisco Chronicle For Reputation Management Services
- Warriors Steph Curry Highlights: Uses His Head In An Unusual Way To Score On Grizzlies Kyle Anderson
- Naismith SCHOOLS Cooperstown With Its 2021 Basketball Hall Of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinudo