I have to write this because it’s purely upsetting and an example of modern racism. The kind of subtle racism or what i call “creeping racism” that black men face, even by people who say they’re that person’s friend.
In this case, I’m almost 3,000 miles away from San Francisco, and thus missing an event I’ve covered with my own media brand and approach for the last three years.
A friend of mine was handling press sign up for the event, and so I worked out what I thought was a clear understanding that that person would have designated people who work for that person sign up to be vloggers on my YouTube Channel.
So, we, myself and the designated people (whom I have met many times before) have a phone talk about how my media system works. So far, so good. I am quite clear in giving instructions. First, I wanted the smartphone held horizontally not vertically. Second, the idea is to livestream the experience of the event in real time, not so much a specific occurrence.
I also explained to the designated people that once a livestream is made on my system, it goes everywhere in seconds, and you can’t go and call back or easily take down the images. What I got bac in our talk was “Yeah. We get it. We use Facebook live.” I had to explain, this is not Facebook live and it’s not one platform, but many coordinated ones, and assembled by me. It’s taken some years for me to get the system to work.
I then explained that one of my friends was in Gaza for the “2018 Gaza border protests,” and made a cool livestream that, with my system, became the top news under “Gaza Protests” for about a day. I was stoked about the power of what I worked to build and wanted to make sure they understood what they were dealing with. I had the feeling they were not hearing me, just shining me on.
So, we made a livestream and that went out as I said. Then, one of the designated people asks that I take down what was done! After what I took pains to explain! I said “no” – that can’t happen and it’s all over the place and that was why I took great pains to explain the system. I panicked because I though the stream was removed by that person, as well, and feared broken links all over the place. Thankfully, that didn’t happen.
So, they told me they would make livestreams through the weekend. So, I got just two that next day, and waited and waited. I figured someone would ping me to let me know they were getting started. I was excited and told others about the arrangement, and because I’m trying to raise money to grow my company around this media approach.
So, I sent a text asking what was happening, and then another one to my so-called friend. Instead, I got back words about sending photos from the event after it happened. Nothing about our agreement. Finally, I pressed and asked what happened? I texted one of the designated people, and asked in a clear, professional way, what happened. No feedback.
So, finally, I get an unbelivable call from my so-called and now former friend saying that I yelled at her designated people, and that they were scared to work with me! And I’m 3,000 miles away pn a phone, and we had one talk, and did not need to have another one!
My simple response via text was that I was tired of what I call “creeping racism” or “subtle racism”: the act of a person being nice on the surface, but all of the time holding very clear stereotyped race and sex bias against you.
So, you can be an African American media tech entrepreneur that’s 3,000 miles away giving instructions to people you know and have met many times, but in the end your presentation becomes just another example of a scary black guy. Forget what they said they were going to do – they lied to me and employed creeping racism to justify their actions.
And rather than my so-called and now former friend defending me and reminding them of our agreement, that person’s the one who calls and reflects to me their insecurities – which, really, are that person’s as well. So, here I cut off the designated persons from my YouTube Channel, and never once called them, or want to, yet my so-called friend sends a text saying “Don’t call my people.” I sent a text back that said “Stop making up a lie. I don’t even want to talk to you, let alone them.”
Unbelievable? Yes. Sad? Very. But my Mom called it – she had the whole deal figured out before I did. For some reason, I have gained some people in my life who were never really friends, and all of the time had issues with me that are based on race and sex.
Other people, generally white, have the freedom of establishing relationships that lead to tech media companies like Bleacher Report or The Athletic. Or BuzzFeed What I do I get? Some good people, to be sure, but some relationships hallmarked by creeping racism.
I dare say I’m the only black man in tech out there who’s experienced this.
I had to blog about it. I’m tired of it. It’s got to stop.
In closing, I have to thank those who have vlogged on my channel and not done that, and understand and support what I’m trying to build. They’re awesome.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Boxing Oscar De La Hoya Coming Out Of Retirement- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
- Oakland City Budget 2021-23: Oakland City Council President Bas Presents Amendments
- 2020 USWNT U.S. Olympics Women’s Soccer Team Announced June 23 2021
- IKEA in Atlanta Under Fire For Juneteenth Celebration Menu By Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Is Bisexual Says Director Kate Herron – But What Would Thor Say About That?
- My Cryptocurrency Portfolio Is Up Today, June 23 2021; Changed Its Composition. What Works For You?
- Howard Terminal Oakland Ballpark Project Clearing Up Errors In Reporting Regarding TIF, SB293 Skinner
- Loki Episode 3. Did This Episode Fail To Deliver? By Joseph Armendariz
- Kathleen Matz Takes Issue With My Oakland Juneteeth Shooting Vlog, Reflects A Basic Racial Problem
- The Race To Become New York Mayor- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Top Draft Picks Continue To Shine In Training Camp – By Eric Pangilinan
- New York City Mayoral Primary Puts Spotlight On Ranked-Choice Voting
- Downtown Berkeley BART Station
Oakland News Now Archives
- Dynamic Group to break ground on 16-unit AD facility – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Dutch wood pellet imports reached new high in 2020 – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Oakland City Council Members Join Vigil in Honor of Victims of Juneteenth Shooting – NBC Bay Area – California News Times
- Crowd gathers at Lake Merritt to mourn 22-year-old man killed in mass shooting – San Francisco Chronicle
- Bishop Barber of Oakland: Unmasked Massgoers Should Not Be ‘Policed’ – National Catholic Register
- Juneteenth Celebration at Lake Merritt in Oakland, Calif. – The Pioneer
- Athletics race to large, early lead, defeat Rangers 13-6 – Associated Press
- List of possible A’s ballpark sites grows, 3rd Las Vegas trip planned – Las Vegas Review-Journal
- Bay Briefing: Where Bay Area small businesses got help — and where they didn’t – San Francisco Chronicle
- Oakland crowd twerks on ambulance, blocks responders after deadly shooting – Fox News