I am Mike Hutchinson, and I’m running to be elected to the Oakland School Board in District 5. I will be running as part of a slate of candidates from the four districts that are up for election. No incumbents are running for reelection and if we win all four open seats, we can flip the board and as a newly elected majority, begin to move OUSD in a new direction.
We believe that all of Oakland deserves quality, public, neighborhood schools. To achieve this goal we plan on leading the school board to take three actions.
The school board is mismanaging the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). If elected I, Mike Hutchinson, will stop the current plans to close public schools and sell Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) property and I will reprioritize the budget to restore funding to our schools.
Oakland has the highest rate of charter schools in California. If elected I, Mike Hutchinson, will fully implement and enforce AB 1505 which will greatly limit new charters schools and charter school growth and will close underperforming charter schools through a strengthened renewal process.
Oakland needs to re-envision public education. If elected I will begin to pilot Sustainable Community Schools. Sustainable Community Schools are an evidence-based school improvement model that offers the whole-child education strategies of a full service community schools; and engages the school community in the process of designing and implementing six key pillars to school success:
1. Engaging, culturally relevant and challenging curricula
2. High quality teaching, not high stakes testing
3. Wrap-around supports for every child
4. Student centered climate
5. Authentic parent and community engagement
6. Inclusive school leadership
Together we can reclaim our public education system. We can understand what’s happened, collectively decide what’s best moving forward, and then begin to build the schools we need and deserve.
After having over $500,000 spent against me when I ran for School Board in 2012 and 2016, we know it won’t be easy, but we are stronger than ever. If we can put together an effective campaign we can win and bring real change to our city. In order to do this we will need everyone’s help.
We will be having a campaign kickoff at the end of the month. We will also begin taking campaign contributions by the end of the month.
Currently, we are beginning to schedule meetings to have conversations about the importance of the upcoming elections and our visions for the future.
If you are a parent, student, or teacher at a District 5 school please help us set up a meeting at your school site in April or May.
The D5 schools are:
International Community (ICS)
Manzanita Community School
Think College Now (TCN)
United for Success
Urban Promise Academy
If you are willing to host a house party for “Mike Hutchinson For Oakland School Board” please contact us, especially if you live in D5. If you live in D5 please also consider being a precinct captain for our campaign.
If you are a member of a union, organization, or club please help us set up a meeting with your group. Please also ask about the endorsement process and help us make sure that we are considered for endorsement. Many groups are considering early endorsements and the sooner we can establish broad support for our campaign the more successful we’ll be.
Election Day is only eight months away!
Please like and share our Facebook page:
For information, questions, and to volunteer, contact us at: [email protected].
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Lights Go Out At Hawks State Farm Arena – Replay Of 2013 Super Bowl
- Hawks Trey Young 35-Foot 3-Pointer Vs 76ers Keeps Steph Curry Comparisons Alive
- Raiders Sign Former Chiefs Players By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines To Deploy Nurses Abroad By- Eric Pangilinan
- Who Is Caleb Scott ?Raiders Singed
- If Manny Pacquaio Beats Errol Spence Where Would Manny Rank
- AASEG And WNBA Press Conference Oakland At Everett And Jones BBQ By Vasu Vaddiparty
- WNBA Press Conference Oakland – By Vasu Vaddiparty
- Two SF Bay Area Women, VP Kamela Harris, Oakland Rep Barbara Lee, At Juneteenth Holiday Bill Signing
- For Beautiful Legs Build Strength And Balance Through Yoga
- Oakland Police Video Features Sgt Doria Neff Of The Mental Health Unit In Video Interview
- Governor Newsom visits small businesses in Oakland
- 3106 Magnolia St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- 2909 E 22nd St Oakland, CA 94601
- 5940-5942 Racine St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- ALLBLACK describes West Oakland & East Oakland politics “Its two different worlds” (Part 1)
- Juvenile Crime – Oakland’s Juvenile Squad | Free Documentary
- Bike Oakland & San Leandro: Goldenrod Trail at Lake Chabot
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting June 17, 2021
- AASEG Announces Press Conference And Juneteenth Celebration Of WNBA Oakland Team Proposal