Michael Schwab, son of Charles Schwab Corp. founder Charles R. Schwab, defeated an anti-SLAPP motion that was filed as part of litigation related to a sham lawsuit brought by an individual who sought to extract $25 million from Michael and his family by making false and outlandish accusations, according to San Francisco Public Relations Agency Singer Associates.
In a ruling on March 13, 2018, California Superior Court Judge John P. Doyle denied four anti-SLAPP motions brought by Nicholas Behunin and his attorney Leonard Steiner against Michael Schwab and Charles Schwab.
“This is yet another in a string of victories over Nick Behunin and his fraudulent statements and legal attempts to shake down Michael Schwab and his family,” said attorney Robert R. Moore of the law firm Allen Matkins, who along with David Schwartz of the Law Offices of David H. Schwartz, Inc., and Michael Stepanian of the Law Office of Michael Stepanian, represented Michael Schwab, Charles R. Schwab and their investment groups.
A SLAPP, or Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation, is a lawsuit that aims to retaliate for speaking out on a public issue and seeks to chill free speech. An Anti-SLAPP motion is used to strike such a complaint, under California’s anti-SLAPP statute.
Judge Doyle concluded that the accusations that Behunin and Steiner made against the Schwab family on a website and blog are not covered under California’s anti-SLAPP statute.
The ruling is the latest in a string of court decisions favorable to Michael Schwab and his family with regard to the false accusations made by Steiner and Behunin. Specifically, in April and May 2017, two separate Superior Court judges dismissed all claims against Charles Schwab and related parties.
On October 27, 2017, California Superior Court Judge Michael Johnson ruled in favor of Michael Schwab and granted his request to dismiss all causes of action against him in a 2014 lawsuit filed by Behunin and the Grain Collective, owned by Behunin and Christopher Jensen. The court subsequently awarded Michael Schwab his attorneys’ fees and costs for having to defend against Behunin’s frivolous lawsuit.
In the 2014 lawsuit, Behunin falsely, and with no facts or evidence of any kind, accused Charles and Michael Schwab of fraud in connection with Indonesia’s real estate market.
After filing the lawsuit, Behunin set up a website in which he published lies about the family, in order to pressure Michael and Charles Schwab to pay money to settle his meritless lawsuit, which sought $25 million. Instead, the Schwabs sued Behunin and Steiner, his lawyer, for libel, and argued that claims the men made on the website and a blog were false and defamatory to the Schwab family.
(The case is Michael B Schwab vs Leonard Steiner et al, in the Superior Court of the State of California for the County of Los Angeles).
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021