Melissa Benoist Supergirl Muscles: In 2015, First Female TV Superhero To Show Biceps | Female Muscle
December 14th 2015 at approximately 8:40 pm EST, Melissa Benoist as Supergirl became the first female TV superhero in pop culture history to show muscle – specifically biceps female bodybuilder – style. Now, in 2021, a lot has changed for Melissa. She’s now married to her once-on-screen love interest on Supergirl, Chris Wood, and they have a baby named Huxley Robert Wood. But we can’t forget that she made pop-culture history playing Kara Danvers in Supergirl.
In catching and lifting a giant portion of a destroyed building up, up and away from a group of people during her fight with Astrid, Supergirl / Melissa Benoist did something that Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman, Helen Slater’s Supergirl, and no other television Supergirl, including Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, have ever done.
But beyond that scene, Melissa Benoist’s workout routine had sculpted an obviously strong woman. Moreover, in the final first season episode, she gained the confidence she was building toward for the entire season.
Supergirl is a path-breaking show in America, in that it also shows straight black men (Mechad Brooks as Jimmy Olson) in romantic relationships with white and Latina women, and also desired by them.
Commonly, black men have been portrayed as thugs or gay or just without a love interest on American television and while black women with white men is common, black men with white women is rare; Supergirl breaks the mold. In Mechad Brooks as Jimmy Olson, Supergirl shows black men for what we are as normal mainstream people in the USA. It is an image that was a long time coming.
I think Supergirl‘s success stems from the fact that it shows society as it really is. A great deal of thanks is due the cast and creators of Supergirl for this much needed gift.
Today, Supergirl is still going on, and Benoist has launched her own production company called Three Things Productions. Looks like the costume muscles were real, after all.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Berkeley Councilmember Ben Bartlett Says FAA Threatens City’s Skies
- President Biden, First Lady, Vice President Harris Statements On Walter Mondale’s Passing
- Oakland A’s Road Warrior Ways Produce 8-Game Win Streak, 9-7 Record
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K